add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Switching from Intel to AMD

_Stripes_

16 months ago

Hi all! I'm switching from an i3-7100 to a Ryzen 2600 next week and I need to know if there's anything I need to do before making a major hardware change. Can I just replace all the parts and the PC will boot up on the spot, or is there something I need to do prior to changing the motherboard and CPU? I plan to use the same HDD.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 5 points

Provided the Windows version is full retail and not OEM,
Clean install of the operating system is the general practice since operating systems are not designed to handle drastic changes, such as different mobo.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll need to change the mobo, since intel mobos are not compatible with AMD. Make sure that your new mobo (if you get it) si 2000 series ready. If it isn't you'll have to manually download it on to a USB drive and then have to update it through the new amd mobo bios.

Also I agree with Warlock, you'll have to clean install Windows since the drivers will be different and the hd will not be read properly.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

You'll need to change the mobo, since intel mobos are not compatible with AMD

They basically said they were going to be replacing the MoBo here:

or is there something I need to do prior to changing the motherboard and CPU?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that I'm supposed to get a new motherboard, but is there anything software wise I have to do before I do that?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

What OS are you running? If your running win 10 is it the full version or the OEM version? While I have been able to change CPU's, or MOBO's and keep the same OS install (on Win 7)... its never a sure thing. I would back up anything you want on an external drive in case you have to do a format and fresh OS install.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It's an OEM version.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, its likely that you will need a new license to activate the OS. I am not all that sure on how MS does it with Win 10 but what little I have read points to the OS license only being valid for the hardware it was originally installed for. In cases of warrantee repair etc., they may be able to work around that.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The most important thing is for you to manually download your new mobo's latest bios for the 2000 series.

Even if your mobo says that it is 2000 series ready (for the raven ridge APU), you might not be able to use the system immediately without that bios update.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

When I switched from my 6600K to the R7 1700X it pretty much launched right up where I left off. The initial boot took a bit longer but everything is fine now

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube