add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
LatiosGaming

15 months ago

So I just got an i7 3770 off ebay for $110. I have 8 GB of DDR3 1600 and an EVGA 430W white PSU laying around. I'm also the high bidder on a P67 board right now for cheap (ASUS P8P67) so hopefully that works out. Don't worry about BIOS issues, I can borrow my sister's i3 2120 for the update. Cooler is a 212 Evo. My question is, with all of these parts what GPU would you guys go with? I think it should be clear I'm not trying to spend a huge amount of money. The goal is 1080p60 max settings.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

You're safe to go as big as a GTX 1060 (or equivalent) without bottlenecking the GPU. 430W power supply should be fine. It's down to your budget?

For 1080p at max settings - if you are planning on maintaining 60fps in current demanding games, I would consider a GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB card. Or the AMD RX 480/580 as a bare minimum.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the 1050Ti/equivalent was able to maintain a constant 60 FPS at max settings. Isn't the 1060 6GB/RX 480/RX 580 a little bit too much?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on what you're playing. Current high-resource demanding games at ULTRA settings will drop you below 60FPS with a GTX 1050 TI. Although you should be OK at a mix of Medium-High-Ultra.

Not so demanding titles should play fine at 60FPS.

(the above is based on the assumption you are running a 1080p display)

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I would go with a GTX 960 or 1050. If you're looking at esports, an RX 550 should be fine, but for newer games I would go with a gtx 1050. Beware that GTX 960s are often faked on eBay, so you should probably buy one used or avoid eBay entirely for graphics cards. It looks like legit 960s go for $60+, so avoid anything cheaper than that. If you want to spend slightly more for more futureproof performance, GTX 1060 3gb cards go for $150+ used.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you recommend a 960 4GB?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

That should be fine for 1080p if you don't want to buy new. Most modern games will run at 60fps on medium settings, and it's new enough for Vulkan support.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I want to keep costs down is because I have to fund this myself and my job doesn't quite pay enough for the more expensive cards. I sure wish I could afford another 1070 or similar, but I'm not so lucky.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been looking into the idea of getting an HD 7970 GHz edition. It's above my current 430W PSU's capabilities, but I'm thinking if I sell it and get a slightly better PSU with the money I save from not getting a 960 4GB it may be worth it. What do you guys think?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

a gtx 1060 will be perfect on almost any title at 1080p 60 you could spring for a used 980 on ebay or r9 390x but those have a larger power draw

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube