add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Slow Wireless, but fast with Ethernet cable?

Nauthes

16 months ago

So i currently pay for 100mbps up and 100mbps down. I get close to 80mbps or so with a cable, but over wireless I'm only getting about 10mbps down.

The I purchased a router/modem two-in-one thing I believe from my ISP.

So i believe the issue is the router cannot provide us with a fast enough wireless strength and buying a different router will help, but im not sure what i will need.

If i replace what i have will i also need to buy a modem? or can i just plug in a new router to my current box and the router will work at better speeds.

I provided a picture of my current box to give you guys a better understanding. https://imgur.com/yhI3ZlM

1. Let me know what i will need. ex. router, modem, both, neither?
  2. Provide some suggestions im willing to spend probably about $100 on a new router to make sure i get 100mbps down.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be your router. Usually if you connect your router directly to your modem the speeds should be what you paid for via ethernet. Wireless, of course, will be a bit slower, but should still be quite fast. I don't normally trust when they say you'll get X-mbps speed. It's more like you can get UP to X-mbps speed. The best thing to do is use those internet speed tests)

My current setup with modem-->router.
I currently use the Netgear AC1750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router, got it on sale for about $100-110. (can't remember). It works pretty well. Has a wide reach and you can manage the router via your smartphone as well.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I purchase the netgear ac1750 would I just plug it into the modem I showed a picture of?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. Since it has an ethernet port it should be fine. I have mine hooked up to my modem. I hope it works for you!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

A quick google search shows that your modem/router has AC2200 which theoretically should be quite good. I would suggest going into your settings and making sure everything is set up correctly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube