add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gtx1080 + i5-8600k or i7-8700k?

Shanksino
  • 19 months ago

Looking to build my first gaming rig soon and I'm really on the fence whether I should pair the gtx1080 with an i5-8600k or i7-8700k. Want to make the system as futureproof as possible. The goal would be to run AAA titles on highest setttings at 1080p/144hz. Usual usage would consist of gaming and watching streams on a dual monitor setup. Is an i7 overkill? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Gaming the i5 and i7 if clocked to the same GHz will perform about the same as 99% games out there won't scale with the extra threads in the i7. There is the odd one or 2 games that can but those games still play very well on the i5 anyhow.

The only other thing about the i5 and i7 argument is for bragging rights. The i7-8700k is definitely more bragging rights than the i5-8600k

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

an i5 8600k will be fine for 1080p 144hz, but if you want you can go with an i7

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

If you wanted to make it as future proof as possible I would go with Ryzen, as Intel uses new chip sets every generation, but I'd go with i7.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

i5 is more than enough for gaming. Unless you edit videos there is no reason for i7.

[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Especially looking at anthem, i really wanna run that game as smoothly as possible. But not sure if its worth the 100 buck premium. Also heard new intel cpus might drop soon. Will that affect 8series prices in a way that would make it worth the wait?

[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do. Thank you very much my dude, appreciate it :]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube