• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ReadingUpsidedown 2 months ago

If you look at the graphs of any random RAM kit or graphics card, you will notice the prices peaked in November 2017 to February 2018. This was the time when the bitcoin craze was at its height. In fact this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-zIbVEjVpQ was made during that time frame. After that time frame though, the prices started falling. They're almost back to normal, but by 2019, the prices should be back to normal.

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 5 points 2 months ago

RAM prices still aren't close to being what they were a couple of years ago. Back then you could get a 16GB kit for ~$60 and a 8GB kit for ~$30.

rhali8 2 Builds 3 points 2 months ago

Looking at this made me cry. 16GB of DDR4-3000 for $71.

$71.

slkipp 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

I remember when $71 was the price for 256mb of ddr

EagleByte 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

DANG, that would've been amazing. Wish I chose to build my computer then!

Zeromus725 2 points 2 months ago

Well, now I’m sad.

ReadingUpsidedown submitter -1 points 2 months ago

This might be a good time to get a 4960X (Ivy Bridge), and overclock the CPU. A recommended memory speed for Ivy Bridge-E is 2400 MHz. 4 * 2.4 = 9.6, A recommended memory speed of Skylake is 3600 MHz. 2 * 3.6 = 7.2. You will still get faster speeds than what can achieved on the mainstream Skylake (yes, Coffee Lake is Skylake, just in a different socket), and your gaming performance won't be hurt because if we assume a 10% increase of IPC per generation: 1.1 (Haswell) * 1.1 (Broadwell) * 1.1 (Skylake) = 1.331. If you can get a highly binned 4960X and overclock that CPU to around 5.5 GHz, you shouldn't have a bad gaming experience. Plus, video card prices are back to normal.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

You will still get faster speeds than what can achieved on the mainstream Skylake (yes, Coffee Lake is Skylake, just in a different socket), and your gaming performance won't be hurt because if we assume a 10% increase of IPC per generation

No offense but I would lean towards the mindset that Vagabond already knows that.

If you can get a highly binned 4960X and overclock that CPU to around 5.5 GHz, you shouldn't have a bad gaming experience. Plus, video card prices are back to normal.

4690K @ 5.5 GHz? One, that's crazy high and would require incredible luck. And, two, there would be no need to be that high for gaming performance. All your doing is creeping up fps potential at that point. And, only slightly.

ReadingUpsidedown submitter -1 points 2 months ago

The 4960X is an Ivy Bridge CPU. A 5.5 GHz Ivy Bridge CPU should perform just as well as 4.1 GHz Skylake CPU all else equal.

You could also get a 5930K (Haswell) CPU, and overclock that CPU to 4.8 GHz, that's about a 3.9 GHz Skylake CPU. You should get DDR4-2400 RAM, since that's the cheapest. Same RAM speed math applies, just with DDR4.

Some Z170 motherboards support DDR3 memory. Since Skylake, Kaby Lake, and Cannon Lake are the same microarchitecture (Skylake), you can also get a 6700K, overclock that CPU, and you should have a great gaming experience.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 3 points 2 months ago

The 4960X is an Ivy Bridge CPU. A 5.5 GHz Ivy Bridge CPU should perform just as well as 4.1 GHz Skylake CPU all else equal.

Tough luck getting it to 5.5 GHz stable.

You should get DDR4-2400 RAM, since that's the cheapest.

Okay....

Some Z170 motherboards support DDR3 memory. Since Skylake, Kaby Lake, and Cannon Lake are the same microarchitecture (Skylake), you can also get a 6700K, overclock that CPU, and you should have a great gaming experience.

You really don't need an i7 for a great gaming experience.

But, I'm confused as to the point here.

ReadingUpsidedown submitter 1 point 2 months ago

My point there was since the 6700K, 7700K, 8700K, and 8086K have the same IPC, and since DDR3 is much cheaper, but only the 6700K has motherboards that support DDR3, you should go with the 6700K for the time being.

[comment deleted]
firedrakes 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

yeah. the ram prices... atm is well its ramming you alright... in the wallet. sadly everything i been reading. its not going to drop for a while still. by much. dam you cell phones.

Mighty_Spoon 2 points 1 month ago

I picked up a Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb single stick (2133) for $40 on sale about 2 years ago. Now it's almost $100. Same with my GPU, I paid $160 for it full price, and now It's $240. Prices are slowly falling again, but we're a ways away. This is why I'm refusing to upgrade any real components until the prices go back down. I'm focusing on my setup. Desk, mic, monitors, case. The aesthetic things.

Adrew24 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Right when you thought things were getting better...

10% tariffs

DopeAF123 2 points 1 month ago

Samsung plans to slow down production of it's memory module to create an artificial inflation in pricing...

Javild27 1 point 1 month ago

Then other companies will follow

ssjg5rlly 1 point 1 month ago

That is scummy.

kthxbaipc 1 point 1 month ago

providing us all powerful computers to train ai

[comment deleted by staff]