add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 Monthly Charge- FYI via Forbes

meiling888

16 months ago

So..... Forbes has released an article about Microsoft's confirmation of a Windows 7 Monthly fee. This fee will start after the Windows 7 support end date, January 14th 2020. The fee will increase in price each year. To Read: Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

Two sides of the coin: (I'm sure there are more reasons, but this is all I can think of right now)

Good: for some people/companies that don't want to change the OS (especially businesses since it would be pricey to get multiple licences) can get security support for their data after the closing support date

Bad: Depends on monthly fee and many people will not want to pay for extra support.

EDIT: Let me know if this topic needs to be moved to the Operating system section. I will move it accordingly.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I let my boss know (we run a lot of Windows 7 at my work - like 30-50 copies) and his eyes went wide as hell. Should be fun watching him run around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to figure out what exactly we're going to do. Does this make me a horrible person?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a feeling a lot of businesses are going to fork over a lot of cash to Microsoft one way or another very soon, whether in updating to Win10 or shelling out for extended support.

I've seen a lot of speculation about MS trying to get mainstream consumers to pay for support. If that happens I may very well swap to Linux, especially since Valve seems committed to Linux gaming. I don't think I'm alone in this either, even a non-tech person can understand "I have to pay extra for this? Why don't I just get a Mac?"

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, because him and a few million other people will be the same. Assuming that your boss has used/ purchased windows 7 pro under a volume license. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-charges-windows-7-support/

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Amazing how this is legal.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, still sucks though. I have windows 7 pro at home and I have a year and a half to thing about it.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Or you can upgrade... to windows 10... for free. Im not even kidding you can still download the upgrade tool and have windows 10 pro, I still do this to my machine that I recently formatted the hard drive and reinstalled my hard copy of windows 7 to it.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

It lets you activate your Windows 10 Pro install with your Windows 7 key? Interesting. The free upgrade was declared over a long time ago.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have windows 10 pro on two of my computers on separate hdd. It kind of sucks though to do that. Oh well. more storage space for my computers I guess.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont believe its normally hardware restricted, certain xp machines even was able to upgrade but i dont know for sure ill look into it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube