add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What CPU cooler would work good for the i7 8700k?

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

16 months ago

Location: US I would like to push as much juice out of the 8700k short of asking NASA whatever they use to keep rockets from melting. ( actual budget no more than $275 and would like to go as close to that fabled 5ghz as possible )

• Either liquid or Air Coolers is fine

• I am using the Phanteks P400s Case which has up 360mm rad support in the front and 240mm rad support on the top.

• ( PS i am wondering if changing the fans on Noctua coolers would change their cooling potential )

( EDIT ) I just read the user manual and found out i cannot install a 360rad without for going hard drives completely which i cannot do, i can do up to 280mm max

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

( PS i am wondering if changing the fans on Noctua coolers would change their cooling potential )

In reply only to this part of your question, I'm pretty sure that Noctua fans are almost universally accepted as some of the, if not the, best fans in the industry, so... yeah, using fans other than Noctua on a Noctua cooler probably would change their cooling potential... by making it worse. Then again, maybe that's what you meant (as in, maybe you were looking at the Noctua coolers, but don't like the color of the fans?). They do have their Chromax line of fans and accessories, but that can add significant cost and I'm not so sure it's worth it. I just use my Noctua coolers with the included beige/brown fans. I kind of like them like that, even if they clash with most everything else nowadays.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the clarification! Does this also apply to an opposite scenario ( ie if you install noctua fans on a different cooler all together can the fans make the cooler much stronger? )

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the fans that comes with the cooler. Noctua fans are solid performers and they almost never die. They also have a great noise profile and have some really awesome static pressure fans to deal with dense radiators. There are other good fans on the market too so among the best fans you are actually splitting hairs for a performance difference in cooling on the AIO. That being said a good AIO usually comes with good fans to begin with so it may not be worth unloading that much money into replacement fans especially on a 360mm AIO where you need 3 of them.

It would also make little sense to buy a cheap air cooler and change the fan into a noctua fan because the cost difference of the noctua fan could be put into a better performing cooler. There is far more to coolers than just the fan and the tower or quality of the AIO can make a huge difference on performance too.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Buy a 360mm and 240mm radiators then a monoblock

Also delid

Not that 5.0ghz is hard to hit

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Just found out i can't install the 360mm rad without completely ditching the only hard drive cage on the bottom, which i cannot do. Do you have any suggestions for a good 240 or 280 rad?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I have my 8700k running at 5ghz stable at 1.35v, being cooled with a Fractal S36 liquid cooler, temps 38 celsius at idle, 62 -68 cel at full load, probably the quietest all in one liquid cooler on the market, can barely hear the fans running at full load.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I just checked this one out. I gotta say if I had it to do over I'd go with this one. I especially like how the lines come out the top and not the side of the sinkpump. And apparently its expandable.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I might get it but now i have to figure out if i'd both of my hard drive cages if i install a 360mm rad or just one. Its difficult to find answers online so i guess ill dive into the user manual to figure it out,

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

What motherboard are you getting? You should get one with proper VRMs aswell, if you're gonna want to go all out on overclocking.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Either the Gigabyte gaming 5 or 7 Here's my current list PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $369.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Fractal Design - Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $119.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $222.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $141.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $169.99
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $59.99
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card $919.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $89.99
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro LED Red 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $25.35
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro LED Red 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $25.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2245.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 14:09 EDT-0400
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

That motherboard should be fine with the VRMs. A 1TB SSD I take you have a number of games you want to install. Nice to see you picked a SATA based M.2 instead of a NVMe based M.2. NVMe is faster but in real world difference is only a tiny bit faster and SATA based SSDs still have awesome performance. Having the capacity to store all your games is by far a better quality of life factor then shaving ~10% off loading times which is like a second or so on a 10 second map load ingame.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats good because i just got the gaming 7! I just hope my 1TB SSD can last me a while as it will be my main drive as i will only use the 2TB HDD when the speed of an SSD isn't necessary. Also from i hear NVME SSD's are only 3-5% in gaming scenarios but cost about 30% more per GB of storage, its only practical in certain productivity scenarios.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube