add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good Wifi Adapter for the money

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

14 months ago

The only rule is no outside USB's and it doesn't cost more than $90

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't have to spend $90, as you can get a decent one for $60-70

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $59.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $59.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-23 20:11 EDT-0400
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll get that one ( unless someone has a better one ), as doing research on these is a pain.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as it works with your router, you should be fine. I'd also strongly suggest sticking with /ac rated ones, as they are much faster.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Do i have to install drivers etc.? How do i know if it works with my router?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll have to install drivers, but these are easily obtained from the manufacturer's website

https://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC56/HelpDesk_Download/

As for the 'works with router' statement, it's just if your router supports /ac wireless or not

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll keep that in mind.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for piggybacking on your thread but will that work with a Netgear Orbi system?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

It should work fine, since the Orbi is rated to AC3000.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. I also need one and I've yet to order it. I just have two minor questions:

In the pictures, the black sticks (antennas) are plugged in the PCI-e card, and in a external magnetic stand. What is the difference between both of these?

Do you think this is good adapter or should I go for the AC56?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

The AC56 can run with either the antennas (antennae?) directly attached to the card or independent of it.

I'd say both of them are just as good (but there may be differences with internal chips, so I can't really say which one is better). Cost will probably be the deciding factor.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

But is there an advantage of using the antennae on the magnetic stand over attached, or vice-versa?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure. I think it's if you're trying to extend it's range (or don't want antennae sticking out from your PC)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube