PCPartPicker

• Register

Pros and Cons of building your own PC vs buying one?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

GMAN-DV8 1 month ago

Hey guys I just wanted to ask what you thought were the best benefits of building your own pc. Also what are some of the disadvantages? I will be comparing the pros and cons of building one vs buying one. I just want to gather some information, I will be doing a class presentation on this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated thank you

Comments Sorted by:

PrivatePengu 8 points 1 month ago

Fun vs no fun

GMAN-DV8 submitter 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

lol

tragiktimes101 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

best benefits of building your own pc.

Price:Performance ratio. You will usually get the best price:performance with non-prebuilts. There are exceptions to this, especially if there are sales on prebuilts. But, for the most part you usually get better performance to price if you build it your self.

Also what are some of the disadvantages?

Generally troubleshooting is on you. Warranties won't cover the entire PC, but each component will generally have a warranty period so that's not a great factor usually.

DarTroX 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

The troubleshooting is part of the fun

tomtomj2 8 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Except when you’ve troubleshooted everything possible multiple times and it still doesn’t work making you want to throw your PC out the window of a 70 story highrise.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Isn't that just the tops?

Zeromus725 3 points 1 month ago

A lot of pre-builts have bundled software (notably Windows) that can be great to have. Also, if it’s a time with lots of sales: a prebuilts on sale means a reduction in total price while a DIY PC might not have everything with a discount.

I guess this is all mostly about pre-builds being cheaper because of the current state in the GPU/RAM market.

GMAN-DV8 submitter 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

True

Nullarc77 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Pros.

• Usually cheaper

• Make it to your needs

• Being able to customize the cosmetics

• Fun and great learning experience

Cons

• Time taken to build

• Time taken to setup windows

• Realizing you forgot to put the IO shield in after you finished the build

Most of the cons are 1 time things. And it is easier to upgrade a PC if you built it, since you know where everything is.

thanks I agree

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

A prebuilt can be cheaper if your specs are matched by high volume commodity parts. As soon as you get into higher end builds, or specific requirements, it's generally cheaper to build it yourself. You can choose exactly where and where not to spend money on features like appearance, quietness, size, parts quality as well as performance features like NVMe vs SATA, all-SSD vs mixed, memory specs, motherboard choice, etc.

In my situation I had a very specific set of requirements, including quiet and storage performance. I can't imagine a prebuilt, even customized, satisfying those requirements at anything like the price I paid.

raventai 2 points 1 month ago

I have bought a few prebuilt PC's over the years, they have always been less expensive and lower speced than computers I have assembled myself but perfectly capable of most non Gaming tasks for a few years.

Every timei build a PC it gets expensive but the resulting product is of higher quality performance and satisfaction. You get exactly what you want how you want it. Though truthfully The expense may say more about me and my ocd than homebuilding in general.

The research cycle ona home built is much longer, if you were to add in your read time and Bill it as billable hours a home built is very expensive, if you look at it asa hobby it's a great and productive one.

The actual build time is not of much consequence, reading researching, spreadsheets, waffeling between two parts. Debating reading reviews takes much more time.

When I built my Pc I definitely went through the research cycle, I can relate to that one. Thanks for the info.

[comment deleted]