add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vega 64 or Next-Gen GPU’s?

CharliePelletier

13 months ago

I am building a new computer and have decided on the Vega 64. Should I snatch one up now and build my pc or is there a possibility that a new line of GPU’s will come out in 2018?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

If you're building now, and there's a Vega 64 that will suit your needs, go for it. There's some pretty nice deals out there right now.

is there a possibility that a new line of GPU’s will come out in 2018?

If you've been checking up on Nvidia, you'll note that they've been rolling out their RTX 2000-series lineup. As far as AMD goes, you'd be stuck waiting until 2019 or later.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I know about RTX. I forgot to link an article referring to a new GPU launch from AMD, my bad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/amd-confirms-new-7nm-radeon-graphics-cards-launching-in-2018/amp/

What do you make of this?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

A) The article is by Wccftech.

B) They misinterpret the source they linked. http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/expanding-our-high-performance-leadership-focused-7nm

I'm assuming you're not interested in sourcing GPU chips as much as an actual graphics card; the product meant for the end-user. It's a subtle difference, but an important one nonetheless.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, okay. Do you believe the GPU’s that are coming out later this year will be used for gaming?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD has repeatedly insisted that the 7nm Vega won't be used for gaming. They have said absolutely zero about a rumored 12nm Polaris job, but have done a lot of the work for a Chinese console with a Zen+larger Vega ALU. I wouldn't count on any new gaming GPU from AMD for at least a year (and I wouldn't be surprised with 2Q19 for Navi).

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

There are rumors of a 12nm Polaris 30 refresh....... which might be called the RX 680. However, according to those rumors the RX 680 would only be 15% faster than the RX 580, and that would put the RX 680 near the R9 Fury X performance level.

AMD isn't supposed to have anything big until Navi which might come out next year.

Earlier this week I saw the Sapphire triple fan Vega 64 card on sale for less than $500 and I was tempted to buy it.

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have a vega 64. its just a gigabyte blower-style, but its pretty sweet.

Your build with that Vega 64 is pending moderation because you did not upload any pictures yet.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube