• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SQUIDDY_97531 4 days ago

Will an R7 1700 bottleneck a GTX 1080 ti for streaming?

Comments Sorted by:

pegotico 2 Builds 3 points 4 days ago

Here is a great tutorial by 526christian

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/214851-on-cpugpu-bottlenecking-in-games

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere. It depends on resolution and graphical settings. In general you buy your components based on what resolution and graphical settings you need. BOth the ryzen and 1080ti are great components, but you didnt mentioned monitor resolution, your graphical settings and games. Take a look at the tutorial.

SQUIDDY_97531 submitter 2 points 4 days ago

Well, I want to play graphically intensive games with 1440p 144hz and I want a decent frame rate.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 4 days ago

Something i didn't mentioned is that you can also google benchmarks for each specific game which is important as not all games are optimized. Benchmarks will show you cpus and gpus performance at different resolutions.

SQUIDDY_97531 submitter 2 points 4 days ago

Okay, thanks!

SQUIDDY_97531 submitter 1 point 4 days ago

Or maybe an R5 2600 with a GTX 1070 ti or 1080 ti?

flexo_is_great 1 point 4 days ago

If you buy relatively decent hardware, no, I mean not that you should worry about at any rate. Because if the answer is yes, then bottlenecks are unavoidable and no one should be buying 1080's, the end is nigh.

I mean bottleneck to the point that the CPU is totally incompatible with the GPU.

flexo_is_great 1 point 4 days ago

Of course not. The Ryzen 1700 is a decent higher end, modern CPU. If it bottlenecked a 1080 ti to the point of incompatibility then pretty much no CPU would be suitable for 1080 ti's and no should be buying high end hardware anymore.

You can put a 1080 ti in a 6 year old i5 2500k if you want and it will still function great. I mean not as well a modern rig, but better than the best GPU from 2012, by a wide margin.

okay, thanks!

acewingman -1 points 3 days ago

I have used thebottlenecker.com to check if there will be a bottleneck with selected hardware. It will give you a clear idea as to what will cause a bottleneck.

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Not a great site to use. For one, there is always a bottleneck, or better put, a limiting factor. Second it depends on the game and the settings in the game. So their estimates are little better then wild guesses.

For example if you check a Ryzen 2600 and a GTX 1080 Ti, with 16 GB RAM, they will tell you that you are 2.5% bottlenecked. Change the 2600 to an i5-8400 and the bottleneck goes up to 8%. Seeing that the i5-2600 is a better performer for gaming....that site is off.

acewingman 0 points 3 days ago

You are correct, there is always an effect, and they state this... "This result is based on average CPU and GPU usage from different programs and games. It changes based on operating system, background processes activity and targeted applications. This result is not universal and changes based on differences in hardware and software enviroments. Please do not use this calculator primary as decision maker than as helping tool to understand performance correlations between different components."

Use your judgement. If it's showing results below 10% I would generally be ok with these results. But if the results are showing 99% bottleneck you know for a fact there is a problem with a bottleneck slowing things down.

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Use your judgement. If it's showing results below 10% I would generally be ok with these results. But if the results are showing 99% bottleneck you know for a fact there is a problem with a bottleneck slowing things down.

You can come the better conclusions by looking at a few benchmarks.

acewingman 1 point 3 days ago

Maybe you can and maybe I can, but there may be others who would like a little confirmation before they spend hundreds of $$$.

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

...and they can get that from benchmarks. If anything that site is going to make people think they need to spend more then have to.

flexo_is_great 1 point 3 days ago

Or you could just realize that you don't need a website to tell you that decent, modern, higher end hardware doesn't have bottlenecks worth worrying about. If you've got some wonky configuration with a 10 year old CPU and a $800 GPU, yeah you might have something there. But for the amount of fuss this topic receives it's almost always foolish nonsense and a haven for pseudo-intellectuals to ramble on about performance they're just inferring based on their beliefs about appropriate hardware pairings.

But I say this as someone who's seen bottlenecks being squawked about incessantly, ad nauseam, for 20 years. It's always the same BS, just the hardware in question changes. And to argue against it is like trying to change the course of a hurricane with a table fan.

It's just a little more confirmation for those who are looking for an answer. It pretty much ends there.

flexo_is_great 1 point 3 days ago

Sure. I'm not going to argue that people shouldn't use it if they're set on it. I'm just of the opinion that when people bring up bottlenecks or ask about them it's almost always because of over-hyped nonsense and we shouldn't encourage it. Case in point, see topic "Will my very nice CPU bottleneck a very nice GPU?"

SQUIDDY_97531 submitter 1 point 3 days ago

Thanks, that helped me a lot!

You're welcome.