PCPartPicker

  • Log In
  • Register

Question about what I should do with my GPU.

Forum Search

Guidelines

  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

gavinthehumanboy 3 days ago

( I don't know much about PCs. ) I bought a $220 1060 SC 3gb a month ago because it was $40 off, I'm realising now that I probably should of waited since I'm planning to build my pc near christmas. So the question is, should I sell it for around the same price and then wait for even better price drops/deals on 1060s in the next few months? There is a RX 580 4gb Dual fan for $185, and I've heard that card is as good as a 1060 6gb. I'm even wondering if I should buy that card now even before I sell my 1060 3gb just so the deal doesn't expire as I'm on a tight budget as well as a highschool student with no job. Any help is appreciated.

Comments Sorted by:

ssjg5rlly 2 points 3 days ago

You should totally give it to me.

jk.

MoreAlphaLine 2 Builds 1 point 3 days ago

Any reason you’re trying to sell the 1060? I personally think it’d be a weird decision because the 1060 6GB and the 580 have a small boost in performance compared to the 1060 3GB. (Definitely not worth the price for you.) Unless you’re dealing with VRAM issues, I think you’d be better off keeping the 3GB.

gavinthehumanboy submitter 1 point 3 days ago

I'm just new to the pc building scene and let the "3gb vram won't be enough for games in the future" go to my head and just thought that my 3gb 1060 wouldn't have been good for the next few years. I had just overreacted to a small mistake of letting my impatience get the better of me, ( buying the card four months earlier than when i planned to build my pc just because it was $40 off and was a bit excited to just the idea of me holding a gpu haha ) going to keep the 3gb 1060 now. Thanks for the feedback.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Test the card you have now and so long as it works fine put it in storage until your build. You just don't want to exceed the retailer return period without testing for functionality because RMAing is a much greater pain in the ***.

Memo1010 1 Build -1 points 3 days ago

it is a common practice for experienced system builders to buy parts individually over a long period of time waiting for them to go on sale, sounds to me like you made a good move

tragiktimes101 1 Build 4 points 3 days ago

it is a common practice for experienced system builders to buy parts individually over a long period of time

Eh, not really. It's generally seen as an unwise move due to moving past a retailer return period before testing / using the product.

hellfire19981 4 points 3 days ago

agree. it may help spread costs out over time, but if it doesn't work, you just screwed yourself.

gavinthehumanboy submitter 1 point 3 days ago

Yeah just at the time I thought it was a huge deal but now I see a rx580 dual fan 4gb for $180. So you can see why I'm stressing haha, if i just waited a month or so more i could of saved $40 for an even better gpu. Just made a small mistake that i might be overreacting a bit about.