PCPartPicker

• Register

Please let me know if this is a good build.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Shnikens 3 days ago

I decided to build my own PC when I found a GTX 1070 and a monitor for an amazing deal online. So made a build around that and have already ordered the parts. Did i pick the right stuff or did i mess up.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $160.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.71 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $77.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card $220.00
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Mini Dark TG MicroATX Mini Tower Case $75.77 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.77 @ B&H
Monitor Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor $100.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $919.11
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $889.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-12 11:23 EDT-0400

Comments Sorted by:

hellfire19981 2 points 3 days ago

looks fine to me. the ryzen won't get you as many FPS as an intel CPU would, but knowing prices as they stand right now, this is still a good build.

Shnikens submitter 2 points 3 days ago

I was going to get the I5 8400 but it was $35 more expensive and I also wanted to play around with overclocking in the future. I did research and saw that when overclocked the R5 2600 is on par (if not better) than the i5 8400 in most titles.

As for the g-sync, I would have liked a monitor that had it but they are just not in my budget. Maybe one day when I have the funds i will really get to build my dream I7, RTX, Custom Water Loop, Itx build(love the small form factor pc's).

you are indeed correct about the ryzen 5 2600 being better than the i5-8400. I was thinking of the i5-8600K. when overclocked (i have mine at 5.1ghz), it is still a significantly better performer at higher framerates.

Shnikens submitter 1 point 3 days ago

That is impressive. Do you keep your I5-8600k overclocked constantly? If so what cooler do you use? Withing the next few months I want to upgrade from my stock cooler so that i can overclock the 2600 and I am doing research on what the best overclock to have, what are the safe temperatures for my cpu, and is it okay to have the overclock on 24/7, and what would be a good cooler for me?

Do you keep your I5-8600k overclocked constantly?

yes, I do. its nice to have that extra performance handy at all times.

If so what cooler do you use?

I just use a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi. most people will wonder how the hell I manage that. to be honest, I got lucky with the silicon lottery. mine runs stable at a low voltage, so heat isn't much of an issue. it almost makes me wonder what it would be like if I delidded the CPU, applied liquid metal TP, and used a water cooler. I'd probably be getting amazing temps.

what the best overclock to have....?

the highest one you can stably achieve and still have reasonable temps.

what are the safe temperatures for my cpu...?

well, this one is sorta debatable. its all kind of "safe" because the CPU will just underclock or shut off if its too hot (I think the cut off is 100 C/212 F). as for what I guess you'd call the 'comfort zone'; probably anything under 85 C, very preferably lower for long term lifespan.

is it okay to have the overclock on 24/7...?

yes, of course, as long as its not too hot or a super high voltage. I think most people keep overclocks going constantly.

what would be a good cooler for me?

That would depend on how high you wanted to overclock. a slight overclock would not warrant anything beyond the stock cooler. a medium overclock might need a nice air cooler. a heavy overclock (especially with increased voltages) would do best on a 240mm water cooler, such as the Corsair H100i.

hope this helps.

Shnikens submitter 1 point 3 days ago

This helps allot thanks. Sounds like you have yourself a golden chip there(knock on wood). Okay so i guess ill make my decision about the cooler once i build the pc and play around with and see how my cop acts. I just watched some videos on youtube and people seem to be getting the r5 2600 up to a 4.2ghz overcolck fairly easily with a decent air cooler.

Well this all sound fun to me i can't wait to get in there an play around thanks for the help i appreciate it.

philip staff 10 Builds 1 point 3 days ago