add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think my PSU isn't working properly

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

14 months ago

I currently own a EVGA G3 750W Gold Certified PSU that i bought on 9/21/18. The PSU worked fine on first boot with no issues but those began to arise after the second boot where when i go to turn on my PCthe lights blink for a second and make a click noise but then turn on. A minute or two later and the power supply magically turns off by its self ( fan stops spinning ) and the whole PC turns off. I have probably spent the last 5 hours checking to see everything is plugged in correctly and it all is.

My question is should i RMA or get a refund on the PSU? Or do you think it might be something else but then again everything else works perfectly fine.

If you want the full parts list let me know.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Sometimes EVGA's, or any manufacturer's, semi-passive mode causes problems. For trouble shooting, make sure the "ECO" mode is off.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

After a bit of going back and forth with EVGA i figured out that my PSU isn't the issue here. I am going to predict it might be my CPU/CPU cooler as its the first ones to turn off.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure it isn't the case power switch or its wiring? and I'd suspect the motherboard before the CPU, on general principles.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

You did remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the CPU cooler, right? If not, that will cause thermal throttling potentially to the point of shut off.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, i did as the instruction manual told me so.

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 3 points

The OTP is set rather high but he isn't running the whole PC in a hotbox so that isn't it. Also all of the protections on it work so if it did shutdown due to it being too hot that would be a sign of the protections working, not a issue with them.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-850-g3-psu,4930-6.html

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

On some other wattage units, the OPP is set above the 125% mark.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube