• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

IDGam3r 4 months ago

Ok so I need to make note of all these things as I have heard some American’s toting Australia as better than America, let me give you Americans the bullet points of why Australia is the worst country in the world, from a 25 year old native white Australian’s perspective.

Internet here in Australia is complete and utter ****, let me give you an idea, ADSL2+ is our Copper Wire Internet, and it’s theoretical makimum speeds are 20mbps Download and 1mbps Upload, this is the “Consumer” Speed, sure you can pay way more for 20 up and down, but the cost for symetrical is 4-8x more than standard ADSL2+, so where you could pay $100AUD a month for ADSL2+, for symetrical ADSL2+, You could be paying $400AUD to $800AUD a month, that practicly going from $25AUD a week to $100AUD to $200AUD a week, no average Australian can afford that, Fortunately NBN our Fibre Optic Internet gives us a theoretical maximum on the maximum tier of 100mbps Download, 40mbps Upload, however most households will get FTTN(Fibre To The Node), which is the 3rd best connection, to keep you informed, FTTE is Fibre To The Exchange, FTTN is Fibre To The Node, FTTC is Fibre To The Curb and FTTP is Fibre To The Premises, these mean what they say, Fibre Optic Cable to point A, then Copper Wire the remainder of the way(I’m getting FTTC, and the curb interconnect is practicly down the diveway, a mere 5 meters), however many Australian’s have complained that the NBN is not as good as they are being toted, at times peole say they feel the NBN is as slow as their ADSL2+ predacessors, You Americans practically got Fibre Optic cable in every single town and city, no part of America has shittier than Australia internet, You yanks got the best net around.

Politics, Granted Donald Trump is an idiot but compared to Australian politic in the last 10 years, he is actually better than most Australian politicians, and THAT is a very bold statement, Australia has had more Prime Ministers in 10 years, than America has had Presidents in the last 150 years, No, I’m not joking, I’ve been keeping tabs on the political state of Australia.

Tech prices in Australia are complete ****, like a Titan V right, $1,500USD, it’s $3,000AUD here in Australia, the RTX 2080 Ti, only $1,000USD, try paying $2,000AUD for a RTX 2080 Ti, you Americans get all your tech at what Australians call a very reasonable price, while we get tech at very unreasonable prices, You Yanks get it good.

Living prices here in Australia are getting worse, granted slowly, but still, we could pay $$$$$$ in bills while Americans only pay $$$, Another reason why America is better than Australia.

And there you have it, the best reasons why Audtralia Sucks, and America rules, I just won’t be moving while Trump exists, and even less so while he is the President.

Comments Sorted by:

tragiktimes101 1 Build 20 points 4 months ago

why Australia is the worst country in the world

Somalia, Venezuela, Guyana, and North Korea would like to know your location.

eesti 7 points 4 months ago

is Somalia even a country in it's current state?

Adrew24 1 Build 5 points 4 months ago

That question deserves a topic of its own...

eesti 4 points 4 months ago

The unrecognized independent Somaliland occupying northern Somalia runs better than the actual Somali government

tomtomj2 9 Builds 14 points 4 months ago

Yes, Australia is the worst country in the world. Sure, you may get shot for publishing dissenting views in Russia or have to work in a giant chasm of garbage in any Central American country but Australia has bad internet!

Unrealisticman, is that you? Hehe

Bran_Flakes 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Unrealisticman, is that you? Hehe

This was my first thought when I opened the topic up lol

[comment deleted by staff]
manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Please keep it polite.

IDGam3r submitter 1 point 4 months ago

Sorry sir/ma’am

gorkti200 2 Builds 13 points 4 months ago

You Americans practically got Fibre Optic cable in every single town and city, no part of America has shittier than Australia internet, You yanks got the best net around.

Super duper wrong.

tomtomj2 9 Builds 7 points 4 months ago

Sir Ace_Balthazar would like to have a word with OP. Lol

DarTroX 9 Builds 7 points 4 months ago

That is, of course, if he can load the page in time

WirelessCables 1 Build 7 points 4 months ago

That is, of course, if he can load the page at all

tomtomj2 9 Builds 5 points 4 months ago

That is, of course, if he can connect to the internet at all.

WirelessCables 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

That is, of course, if he has internet at all

Haze159 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

lol right? My internet is practically powered by a potato.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
ssjg5rlly 7 points 4 months ago

But you get a cool accent, right?

What accent, We Australians don’t have one that stereotyped accent was just Steve Irwin’s way of being a showpony, we Australian’s talke like every other tom, **** and harry.

VapidDarkness 3 points 4 months ago

Eh, I've met people from Australia and they definitely have an accent.

ssjg5rlly 1 point 4 months ago

Oh. Well, the more you know, right? :P

vagabond139 5 Builds 7 points 4 months ago

You Americans practically got Fibre Optic cable in every single town and city, no part of America has shittier than Australia internet, You yanks got the best net around.

Hahaha. Yeah no we do not. It is some of the worse around due to ISP monopolies.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 3 points 4 months ago

IIRC South Korea may have the best internet infrastructure in the world.

Phoneboy101 1 point 3 months ago

True doe

Root_User 2 points 4 months ago

http://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/

http://www.speedtest.net/reports/australia/

Not a statistically rigorous random sample, but a pretty nontrivial disparity (opposite to the OP's suggestion) nonetheless.

M0RKILLZ.twitch 1 point 4 months ago

My house had dsl at first (and it was built in 2008!) and we had to have it upgraded to cable.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

Funny thing, DSL is basically regular phone line on steroids.

[comment deleted]
Root_User 6 points 4 months ago

Okay then.

Memo1010 1 Build 4 points 4 months ago

Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can you hear, can you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover! - Men at work

PCPPAccountant 2 points 4 months ago

Honestly, not a lot has changed in day to day life here with Trump as President. I don't agree with a lot of things with him, but life really stays pretty consistent. I think the news and media has changed a lot over my lifetime towards the Presidency, but life has always felt the same throughout all of the presidencies I've lived through.

That internet and tech prices sound like **** though. That sucks. The ISP's all have us Americans by the balls too I feel like lots of times, but not to that extent you describe in Austrlia.

M0RKILLZ.twitch 1 point 4 months ago

I am following the NSW police page on FB, as I was told by someone (correctly) that they effectively use memes to target teens, and as a byproduct of that I also see what crimes they are seeing.

That has revealed to me that australia is not some magical gun-free country, and I know this because hardly a week goes by without them posting about how they confiscated illegal firearms from a biker gang or a random person. Even after their new stance on gun control, the things are still showing up on a weekly basis.

IDGam3r submitter 2 points 4 months ago

Australias gun control is good, but it could be better, and America could learn a thing or two about implementing tighter gun laws.

I remember Barack Obama mentioned how he wanted to implement the same gun laws Australia has into the American Constitution, THAT is one of the reasons why I though Barrack Obama did a good job as President.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

I remember Barack Obama mentioned how he wanted to implement the same gun laws Australia has into the American Constitution, THAT is one of the reasons why I though Barrack Obama did a good job as President.

I remember when he suggested that people be restricted from purchasing firearms if they were on a "no-fly" list without any requirement for due process or actual guilt. And, that is one thing I think he did as president that was foolish at least or tyrannical at worst.

caddyatack 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

No thanx, no thanx

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
M0RKILLZ.twitch 2 points 4 months ago

Makes sense, except for the last sentence.

100 years ahead of what? our efforts as a country to eradicate guns? because those have barely started. I believe the cultural difference between the aussies and us is too large to implement a gun ban or even a registry. good luck getting all the provincial peoples down south to hand over their guns. I wouldn't hand mine over either tbh.

[comment deleted]

Sometimes the only good thing about people is they get old and die, and then a little bit progress can be made over their dead bodies.

You're arguing a population shift away from people that defend the Constitution and its Bill of Rights, is a good thing? Tough sell.

U.S. culture isn't immutable.

The Bill of Rights is...I mean, sure you can add more amendments to modify it's interpretation, but that requires 2/3 House, 2/3 Senate, 3/4 states. Ie. not going to happen (thank God).

caddyatack 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I agree.

That statement about progress is especially atrocious.
The idea that the world will be a better place after a bunch of people die....wholly cow batman. Political progress is just another illusion held and pushed by ignorance.

[comment deleted]

I'd personally kill to have Australia's numbers.

I certainly would not. It isn't as simple as looking at their rate of gun deaths and crimes. Both the US and the Australia saw similar reductions in overall violence between the time of Australia's ban and now. The only difference, the US didn't really have to undergo any massive changes to instigate that trend, and likely Australia didn't either. What I'm saying is, Australia's gun ban doesn't appear to have had any tangible effects on violence in Australia. If anything, it could be argued that some violent crime rates in Australia increased in comparison to the US during that time.

Xx_Hemi_xX 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Australia's gun ban doesn't appear to have had any tangible effects on violence in Australia

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, guns just make it easier. Fat lazy killers is what would reduce death rates. So the solution is to build more Outback Steak Houses and serve up more cheesy bacon fries and blooming onions. More people would die from heart disease (natural causes) than bullets and there would be fewer drive by shootings because they wouldn't drive by Outback. Make more cows not bullets MAFA!!

[comment deleted]
tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

I'm arguing that you are conflating confiscation of guns with reduction in violent crimes / deaths. That is not the case, as is made evident by the shared trend in reduction rates between Australia and the US. And, even if you want to take the US comparison out of the equation to get a better feel for similar cultural statistic divergences, you can look at New Zealand which firearm related crime rates have echoed Australia's without banning or confiscating firearms. Hard to argue that the firearms were the crux of the change.

[comment deleted]
Memo1010 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

You Yanks get it good.

Don't call me that, I hate the New York Yankees

LIVE_AMMO 1 point 4 months ago

Granted Donald Trump is an idiot but compared to Australian politic in the last 10 years, he is actually better than most Australian politicians

Not so bothered about the web data packages and regional part pricing but that comment above lol - if accurate, yep the OZ needs a new Wizard and plenty of yellow bricks to build a brighter future!

XD

Godzlegend1 1 point 4 months ago

Woah... A rant on our Net is warranted.

Yeah Australian Internet is practically garbage. The NBN (National Broadband Network) was set up as a way to have a unified federal standard of consumer Internet across the country (90% coverage is the goal by 2021 iirc). It's slow, it's technologically insufficient and honestly there probably was a billion better ways to go about giving people better net.

So I guess you're probably asking "why would they even bother then if it was hot garbage??" Well without getting into the politics behind its development (Seriously it's a very partisan issue depending on who you ask). the "company" ( actually a government operated corporation) was created in 2009 by our Labour party (Central left politics) on the basis of providing "global" coverage to all Australians (previously rural connections had poor satellite or dial up connection). Now the projected cost for such a deployment of Fibre being deployed straight to houses (FTTP) was $40.9B. it was to be the single largest infrastructure development in Australia (Which made it a hotly contended issue).

Now the projected speeds from the Labour government at that time were 100 Mbit/s to 93% of Australia's population (We live very densely so the number is very much attainable). Now many of you would scoff at 100Mb sure but for Australia this was far superior to anything beforehand and to provide it on a federal level to rural and urban citizens alike was a huge thing. Of course this plan never came to fruition, the easy answer is to blame the Liberal party (Center-right) for its insistence that a Mixed-technological roll out (meaning we should not rip up copper lines and instead use our existing network to benefit from added fibre).

So one side wanted full fibre roll out (With rural subsidised by fixed wireless, satellite and LTE tech) and the other wanted the same but using existing technology. The labour plan was theoretically more expensive and longer to implement whilst the Liberal plan was cheaper and had a much faster roll-out.. Theoretically. We now know the answer to which one was best but we still need to explain exactly what the liberal governments plan was considering it's the plan that was implemented.

So because Australian politics is literally a ******* sushi train and every minute we get a new government, building a cohesive technology from the ground up (regardless of party allegiance) seemed like a monumental thing... AND BOY WAS IT! budgets were blown out and deadlines were missed because we can't do anything right. The biggest thing that changed was not the speed differences, nor the technology differences... No it was something far more sinister. The labour government projected a ROI of 7% (A way to implement such infrastructure without being indebted) it was never meant to be a money maker for the government (At-least the initial proposal, it could have changed in their minds but IDK), the plan was to build infrastructure to secure the technological future of Australia. The liberals? Well... I'm sure they also wanted to improve our internet infrastructure but they went into this venture seeking to make the NBN a profit driven enterprise.

Now behind all this politics stuff, the Labour government was still in control, so the NBN was rolled out in stages with contracts signed with various companies to build the network, legislation was passed in parliament. (Now there's a lot of logisitics in this part of the story about cost management and RFTs and blah blah blah so I'm gonna skip this because if you really wanna learn a quick google search into why NBNco suspended their RFT process in 2011 you can do so).

Now we forward to 2013, we have a new government and boy to the liberals hate Labour so they decided to go with their mixed tech approach (MTM). This was described to the public as a way to implement the NBN with costs down and quicker deployment. At this time you should know that the original "NBN" is dead, no amount of changes to liberal policies would ever come close to Labours vision.

So now we have the Liberal NBN, cheaper and quicker for around the same speeds (Theoretically). with a max of 100 down 40 up and a minimum of 12.5 down. plans range from 40$ to over 100$. So I bet you're asking yourself, "Well if the liberal governments was cheaper and quicker and you could pay for 100 down if you wanted why is it that bad?". Good question, the answer? They were wrong. It wasn't cheaper nor was it faster (though technically because Labours plan was never enacted we can't possibly know exactly how much and how long theirs would take). What we know is that based on the governments own budgets and estimates the plan was over budget by $10B and roll out for 91% of aussies to be completed in 2021.... Sounds to me like the libs plan was slower and more expensive than the proposed Labour plan. (One could make the argument that if the Liberal plan re-used copper tech and took this long, laying a whole new network of fibre should take even longer and cost more therefore making the liberal plan, despite being out of budget, cheaper than if a Labour plan was introduced).

So there we have it, a ****** National broadband network because our government wasn't willing to play nice with each other and not take the advice of actual experts who knew that keeping copper networks would be redundant in the future making our NBN ultimately a waste of ******* time!

Politics, Granted Donald Trump is an idiot but compared to Australian politic in the last 10 years, he is actually better than most Australian politicians, and THAT is a very bold statement, Australia has had more Prime Ministers in 10 years, than America has had Presidents in the last 150 years, No, I’m not joking, I’ve been keeping tabs on the political state of Australia.

Idc what your opinions of either party or of Donald trump or anyone this statement is garbage. you can't possibly compare the two (Different countries AND different government types).

Tech prices in Australia are complete ****, like a Titan V right, $1,500USD, it’s $3,000AUD here in Australia, the RTX 2080 Ti, only $1,000USD, try paying $2,000AUD for a RTX 2080 Ti, you Americans get all your tech at what Australians call a very reasonable price, while we get tech at very unreasonable prices, You Yanks get it good.

Yeah no, factoring in not only GST but various other taxations on import/export and various governmental regulations, PPP etc, make direct price comparison is impossible. It's easy to say we pay more because they have a different number after their dollar sing but it's much more complicated than that.

Living prices here in Australia are getting worse, granted slowly, but still, we could pay $$$$$$ in bills while Americans only pay $$$, Another reason why America is better than Australia.

Yes, cost of Living in Australia is high and i'm not sure QOL can make up for the disparity but idk for sure, either way it's once again way more complicated than "we have big $$$$ they have small $"

And there you have it, the best reasons why Audtralia Sucks, and America rules, I just won’t be moving while Trump exists, and even less so while he is the President.

Well I appreciate your opinion of your country.

Zeromus725 1 point 4 months ago

“American’s toting Australia as better than America”

Which one of these traitors said that?

“I just won’t be moving while Trump exists, and even less so while he is the President.”

He’s not running around slaughtering babies or anything. Why avoid America because of one man?

I just don’t like him because of all the racist things he has said, not to mention he is up there with the world political leaders of all time.

Zeromus725 1 point 4 months ago

Well... alright. :)

Crazyfool 1 point 4 months ago

No, we hardly have any Fiber networks other than for Backhaul in the USA. One big reason is all the cable companies had existing HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax) networks for cable video delivery already deployed. Is fiber better? Sure, but the practical aspect of ripping out a working network to replace it with fiber is a plain stupid business plan. Instead we converted our analog transmission to digital which freed up more EIA channels to be used in the DOCSIS network. Once the network goes digital you can use decent internet. Once you upgrade the main plant you can drive internet speeds up to 1gbps on that coaxial network and not have to put new cables everywhere. And we are talking about some massive networks in the USA because of the geography involved... The reason we have asymetrical networks in USA is due to the EIA channels. You can only have so many going down that cable so you end up choosing a higher download speed since that is what users want, and a slower upload. Now if you had fiber with a dedicated cable you can use the full bandwidth, and you can have the same up/down speeds. I used to work with a few DOCSIS engineers who took contract jobs with NBN and I'll tell you building this stuff is majorly expensive (I was managing the docisis upgrades to get 1gig service in the network) I know you want your FTTP (to your house) but it usually is cost prohibitive and from your post you already don't want to pay lol. You don't even need FTTC, fiber to the node and coax after that would be perfectly fine and what we have in USA in most places. So your to the curb is even better than here in most cases...

Rezna 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

It is always nice learning about what people have to say especially if they are from other nations. This is the kind of thing you usually cannot learn from just browsing news sites or college forums.

Evil_Paroxysm 5 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

All you had to do to settle why Australia is the worst country in the world is link a photo of some spoders and snekes.

But good on you guys for throwing powerful suprcharged engines at sedans and utes still.

Enrico411 1 point 3 months ago

Granted Donald Trump is an idiot

Never understood this statement. I can agree if you say i don't like him or you don't agree with him but an idiot?

He became a billionaire and build a successful business empire. Successful tv shows and now he is president of the most powerful nation on this earth.

And you call that person an idiot??

IDGam3r submitter 2 points 3 months ago

Um let’s note the several reasons real Quick

-He makes Racist Comments -He makes Sexist Comments -His hair looks like something from the Jurassic Era. -His face is Orange...ok, not really but you get the point. -He has control over Nuclear weaponry, which are dangerous on their own, and being in control by a guy like Trump, just makes them even more life threatening. -Like ALL political leaders of ALL countries, My own home country included, He lies, cheats and steals, and Is never honest, Modest or Honourable. -He makes remarks that nobody likes.

Hence Trump is an idiot, in saying that though, between Hillary Clinton and him, At least he is not nearly as bad, if He is the devil himself, then hillary is the mother of the devil, so in a compulsory vote i would vote trump, in an optional vote, I would not vote period.

Enrico411 1 point 3 months ago

I don't want to make this a thread about Trump but could you give me an example of his Racist Comments?

IDGam3r submitter 1 point 3 months ago

God I can’t remember them all, all i know is the fact that he did make alot of rascist comments

Zeromus725 1 point 3 months ago

“His hair looks like something from the Jurassic Era. -His face is Orange”

You can’t base someone’s intelligence on physical appearances.

“He has control over Nuclear weaponry”

Power does not signify a lack of intelligence.

I’m not saying I like Trump, but I would hope you could make better points than these.

IamNotGoodWithUsernames 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

You must not have ever been in the US because internet speeds in small towns is BAD,

the RTX 2080 Ti, only $1,000USD

That's never been the case

Living prices here in Australia are getting worse, granted slowly, but still, we could pay $$$$$$ in bills while Americans only pay $$$

Sure, if you live in the worst neighborhood in the worst city in the worst state but in the larger states like California people pay $$$$$$$$$

I think both countries have their trade offs Australia has less political violence and cheaper healthcare at the expense of technological innovation and higher financial wealth for the average person.

TheGamingBible 1 point 2 months ago

Ya dog, I'm getting a comfy 20 mb/s upload and 40 mb/s download. Once converted Australian tech prices are the same but with GST added. It's a great nation Australia, one where you can go to school safely and more importantly not be a target for every nation.

akimboo 0 points 3 months ago

so is this the new "i h8 my P@rents" type thread?

IDGam3r submitter 1 point 3 months ago

wtf

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]