• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

IDGam3r 1 month ago

Let’s compile a list of PC things that have more or less died, Here is mine.

Dedicated Sound Cards(Yeah they are still on the market but in todays day and age, most gamers use their onboard audio soloution, rendering Soundcards obselete)

Comments Sorted by:

Haze159 1 Build 11 points 1 month ago

My Ryzen 1600 died last Christmas.

gorkti200 2 Builds 3 points 29 days ago

oof

Zeromus725 3 points 28 days ago

I’ll press F. I don’t know what I would do if my 1600 died.

F

M0RKILLZ.twitch 1 point 29 days ago

did you also get it that christmas? :'(

Haze159 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

No, I wasn't that unlucky haha. I did however get a new one as a late Christmas "present" lol.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 10 points 29 days ago

Beige cases.

worstcaster 1 Build 8 points 29 days ago

Optical drives are starting to fade out.

Siwini 1 point 29 days ago

I have a collection of CD/DVD stuff, gonna' keep mine for a while, :-).

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 18 days ago

I only use an optical drive to install w7.

Pretty much been dead to me for almost a decade.

ImperiousBattlestar 6 points 29 days ago

Mid-high end motherboards that didn’t more or less look like a dance party.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/F9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5

you mean less rgb? if so, this one is a prime example. some backlighting on one side,but otherwise dark except for the debugs.https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4D7v6h/msi-x470-gaming-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-plus

TheShadowGuy 1 point 29 days ago

EVGA to the rescue though!

DarTroX 5 Builds 1 point 29 days ago

I had one of those

slkipp 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

Cold cathode lights, full acrylic cases, non modular high and mid end PSUs, PATA drives, CM Centurion 5 [rip]

Adrew24 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

Pata drives died a while ago. Sata is already becoming outdated with SSDs.

TheShadowGuy 4 points 29 days ago

My cheap SATA SSDs beg to differ.

Plus mass storage drives (4+TB) and RAID arrays will mean it sticks around a fairly long time yet.

MannyPCs 4 points 21 days ago

Sata is already becoming outdated with SSDs.

You mean SATA is becoming outdated with NVME? SATA SSD's exist and their doing just fine still.

Zeromus725 3 points 28 days ago

I don’t know, SATA SSDs seem quite very popular.

Siwini 3 points 1 month ago

Floppy disks. Facing extinction, dial up modems, YAY!

Root_User 3 points 29 days ago

RIP Paul Allen.

PS/2, especially now that most USB keyboards can do fine with simultaneous key presses.

Shakaron 4 Builds 3 points 29 days ago
flexo_is_great 1 point 22 days ago

You could put so much data on them! You know, until USB drives became a thing.

legomaster 6 Builds 2 points 29 days ago

Sata Express

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

sata express what now?

It was a connector on motherboards around the 100 series chipsets. It was created to try to reduce the bottleneck that sata 3 had on ssds, but it went obsolete because no drives were made using the connector.

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

Now, we just need U.2 to go the way of the Dodo.

fatpigeon 2 points 29 days ago

Optical discs.

They used to be the future of storage. They offered excellent long-term data retention for backups and archival storage. The next-generation holographic discs under development promised a then-enormous capacity of 1 TB.

Then everyone seemingly stopped developing new optical disc technology. The largest-capacity commercial optical technology (Blu-Ray) is now too small for backups now that hard drives and even SSDs come in multi-terabyte capacities. They're still used for read-only distribution of mastered media, but are otherwise pretty much obsolete.

Also, tape drives were once a common backup medium, but for consumer use they are dead. They are still used in large enterprise installations, but otherwise the fixed cost of a tape drive is prohibitive. (Tapes are only somewhat cheaper than hard drives per byte, and drives cost thousands of USD, so hard disks are much cheaper unless you're storing an enormous amount of data.)

JarJarJamal 2 points 29 days ago

Case decorations

EagleByte 1 Build 2 points 29 days ago

CRT monitors. Those died out roughly when I was born.

In 2004?

EagleByte 1 Build 1 point 21 days ago

Yeah, around there. I'm kind of glad they're gone, but kinda miss them, too.

Sli/ crossfire above 2 gpus

Nathananderson839037 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

That's because nVidia and AMD have stopped supporting more than 2 cards.

Root_User 1 point 29 days ago

Wasn't the 3+ Crossfire/SLI community always a fringe group, though?

Crossfire/SLI itself was always a niche group. Teeny tiny relative to the rest of the gaming population. So yeah of course any subset of that is going to tiny.

Root_User 1 point 22 days ago

Thanks for the response, though that was a rhetorical question.

m52nickerson 1 Build 2 points 29 days ago

On board the motherboard graphics.

romanvalkre 4 Builds 2 points 29 days ago

Fire Wire and ESATA connectors on PC's seem to be fairly rare nowadays.

akimboo 1 point 24 days ago

i was about to say eSATA lol. Firewire didn't have a very good run either

Crazyfool 2 points 29 days ago
  • RDRAM (Rambus DRAM) didn't last that long.
  • IRQ jumpers on the motherboard itself prior to plug-n-play devices and uefi bios
  • Jumpers on the hard drive to designate master/slave etc.
  • Add on math co-processor

Jumpers on the hard drive to designate master/slave etc.

No one, not even the crazies, miss that.

Zeromus725 2 points 28 days ago

Mainstream single-core processors.

Brett_5s 2 points 16 days ago

I have 2 single core, single thread CPUs. They are clocked 1.1ghz and 1.3ghz. Straight out of 2005

Zeromus725 1 point 16 days ago

Weird flex, but ok! :)

Has anyone ever met anyone who owned a Core Solo?

Zeromus725 1 point 22 days ago

I sure haven’t ever seen one.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 1 point 20 days ago

My first pc was a single core athlon. It was one of the last. I got the PC in 2008(I think). The motherboard had an nVidia video chipset, and to this day is the only nVidia GPU I have ever used in my main rig.

Despite how low powered it was it coukd run Republic Commando and C&C Generals. Which is really all a man can ask for.

Xx_Hemi_xX 1 Build 2 points 18 days ago

My first PC was a 386 so yeah I know someone. It took 15 mins to download one Anna Nicole Smith photo.

Zeromus725 1 point 16 days ago

Lol, sorry bro.

flexo_is_great 1 point 18 days ago

Well to be clear I wasn't asking if anyone had used a single core CPU. Back in 2006 when the Original (Conroe) Core/Core 2 CPU's came out there were Core Solo, Core Duo and Core Quad CPU's. Lots of people had Core 2 Duo's and Core 2 Quads, myself included. But I never really any saw an Core/Core2 Solo's in the wild and I think they had a relatively short life being easily overshadowed by multi-core CPUs.

So I just wondered if anyone had used that specific marginalized chip.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 1 point 18 days ago

From what I can find the core solo series was strictly mobile. On the desktop side they had pentiums and celerons.

flexo_is_great 1 point 18 days ago

That may make a bit more sense, I mean I knew about Celerons and Pentiums and you never failed to see them around. So I wasn't really clear on where the Core Solo's niche was, just that it was a product that existed. And I only had a limited interest in laptop hardware at the time.

Iirc, my brother had a toshiba core solo laptop.

ThoughtA staff 2 points 17 days ago

Sharing a screenshot of a shopping cart to share a part list.

Root_User 2 points 17 days ago

Ha, funny no one else ThoughtA that one yet.

ThoughtA staff 2 points 17 days ago

manirelli didn't think I'd be the first.

Root_User 1 point 17 days ago

It's also relli great that we have a reduced need to manirelli check for certain major compatibility issues.

gorkti200 2 Builds 1 point 29 days ago

Accelerated Graphics Port

IDGam3r submitter 1 point 29 days ago

AGP eh, Don’t think I ever used an AGP GPU

It was just like PCI-E, except lowend pre-builts often didn't have them so you were relegated to using PCI (classic) variations and the PCI bus was pretty slow, so highend GPU's were a no-go by the early-mid 2000s.

The GeForce 7800 I think was the last highend GPU for AGP, one of the last ones. I was kinda of surprised how fast AGP died.

eesti 1 point 29 days ago

External drive bays, not just for optical drives. There were other useful things that used them, like front i/o upgrades and fan controllers

stock heatsink usage.

(except for ryzen's excellent new ones)

ssjg5rlly 1 point 29 days ago

My monitor.

akimboo 1 point 24 days ago

i punched my monitor soooo /s

Hobie12345 1 point 29 days ago

How far back do you want to go?

PCMCIA Cards? Tweaking Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files? I haven't seen a SCSI cable/port on a PC in quite some time. After Dark - the third party screensaver program (I do miss the fish and the flying toasters) CRT screens?

Xx_Hemi_xX 1 Build 1 point 29 days ago

You can still get the fish SS if you don't mind a virus or 2

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 29 days ago

Full tower cases. The only major manufacturers that has made any recent ones in the past couple of years is Thermaltake and Lian-Li. That is literally all I can think of if you don't count manufacturers who only have a single offering i.e Bequiet or Corsair and not counting companies such as Coolmaster who bring back ancient cases with tempered glass at a attempt to stay relevant. I would have added Caselabs but they aren't around anymore.

Oberdan 1 point 29 days ago

Floppy Drives. They were cool. How cool? Well....

https://youtu.be/cM_sAxrAu7Q

Yes, that dang cool! /nostalgia

DarTroX 5 Builds 1 point 29 days ago

External fan controllers

Bartholemew 1 point 28 days ago

PC cases that serve as monitor stands.

tigerclaw99 1 point 27 days ago

3 core cpus

ReadingUpsidedown 1 point 27 days ago

Very ancient:

• Non-x86 CPU's

• 32-bit CPU's

Somewhat ancient:

• Triple channel memory

• Dual-GPU graphics cards

• Green PCB's (not for servers)

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 27 days ago

Non-RGB products :X

But the older style cases with lots of HDD bays / optical drives etc. odd shaped fan sizes which only fit certain cases and optical media / external fan controllers with newer software.

Amusingly in regards to dedicated sounds cards, I see to an extent they are making a come back as people buy newer headphones and get more and more into the audio element. I noticed Massdrop for example with recent collaborations which move a loads of headphones have users and in turn a number go out and buy Soundcards or more usually external devices, in particular the harder to drive headphones such as HD6xx and so on which can now be had for cheap when such headphones used to cost a fair but more.

legomaster 6 Builds 1 point 25 days ago

The vga connector

Mighty_Spoon 1 point 24 days ago

Hard drives under 1TB.

Dedicated Sound Cards(Yeah they are still on the market but in todays day and age, most gamers use their onboard audio soloution, rendering Soundcards obselete)

This is interesting because once upon a time CPU's were slow enough where onboard sound was an option, it would just take 10-15% of your' CPU's power to accomplish it. So for gamers a dedicated soundcard was an necessity, even though lots of motherboards had onboard sound. When multi-core CPU's hit full stride, the power demands for sound didn't really increase, but available CPU power had increased dramatically which made onboard sound much more viable for gamers because there's really no hit to performance anymore. A couple of percent on one CPU core, pheh, not even worth worrying about.

Buying RAM in megabytes.

256 colors or Web safe colors (which was a subset of ~216 colors because PC's and Mac's at the time didn't use the same 256 color palette).

16bit colors for that matter.

And I remember when the first generation of GPU's to support 32bit color were released. And what a kerfuffle it was when the Voodoo3 did not. And once upon a time in benchmarks comparing 16bit color performance vs 32bit color performance.