add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anyone know how to migrate OS from HDD to SSD?

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

13 months ago

( without having to pay )

I would like to migrate only the OS from my 1TB HDD to a 120GB SSD ( for those wondering its a 1TB HDD from western digital caviar blue and a 120GB SSD from Kingston the A400 series )

most of the tutorials on YT iv'e seen so far ( around 25 of them at this point ) use paid for software and that is out of the question. Many others seem confusing if you know of any decent tutorials respond As Soon As Possible.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Do a search for free cloning software. There are a few free ones. Clonezilla is the one that seems to get recommended the most.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

Other then that, it maybe easier to install your SSD, unplug your HDD and install do a new install of Windows on the SSD. Once that is done you can plug you HDD back in, set your boot priority to the SSD and now you can delete Windows from the HDD and move files around.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Will i be able to use the same key that was used on the HDD? The person that i am building this Computer for had windows 7 on a HDD and i would like for it to be transferred to the SSD, preferably without having to pay.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you should be able to use the same key.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I used, it worked great

I suggest either this or Clonezilla for cloning the drive https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube