add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Alienware AW3418DW Question w/ AMD Graphics Card

winona78

14 months ago

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor on Black Friday to the AW3418DW. I currently have an RX580 and plan to switch over to a 1080/2080 in a little while. Question is, how choppy is the screen tearing going to be with that monitor and the RX580?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Will mostly just be the same issues you have now without adaptive sync. Given your unlikely to hit 120hz (can't even recall if you will be able to OC it past stock 100hz without Nvidia GPU), could be worthwhile just setting the panel at a lower refresh rate which you can stay steady at until the upgrade.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

So pretty much I'd have to match the max refresh rate on the new monitor to avoid tearing?

I have freesync monitors at this current point, so I haven't seen screen tearing for the most part.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Simplistically put. tearing happens when there is any disjoint between the refresh rate of the panel and FPS you GPU is pumping out. So yes, if your running at say 47 FPS and the refresh rate is 60hz, you can get tearing, infact the whole point of of FreeSync and G-Sync is to eliminate this.

Now not everyone will see tearing, be perceptive to it or have issues in the game there playing. For me without G-Sync and there being an FPS mismatch its pretty noticeable so on panels without such tech I will try to match the FPS and Refresh rate when I can.

Given you have freesync and an AMD GPU at the moment, FreeSync would be active when possible to help remove tearing.

Now back to the initial question, no it will not be horrible in the interim using the monitor and the AMD GPU. You may just need to look at trying to smooth things out if tearing is noticeable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube