add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My school has asked me to build them a computer for 3d printing

Limeline23

13 months ago

So a teacher at my school wants me to build them a computer for 3d printing. I have a build that I built at home using the ryzen 5 2600x and I was wondering what I should focus on in the build to be able to run stuff for the 3d printer. I'm not sure if the process is any different because I think it's suppose to be a dedicated computer for 3d printing. Any suggestions on parts would be great! My guess is to go ryzen because of the extra threads, but any help is appreciated!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Go with a low-end Ryzen, but get a discrete GPU (a GTX 1050 or around) to render the prints.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen 1400-1600 , RX 450/460/550/660/GT 1030/1050, 8 gigs of RAM and it should be pretty solid for it.

But....3d modeling certainly isn't my forte.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Guessing low budget, then just get a 2400G, b450 Board and 8 gigs of ram.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are looking into building some pretty basic 3D prints, you dont need very much power. personally, I would build with a decent CPU and an ok GPU... here's what I would do:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/dJZRRJ

I ended up going crazy with the GPU just because they're really cheap right now in canada... Hope it helps!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

insert jealous comment here

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, do they want it for 3D design? Or to slice stl files?

You don’t need a powerful system to slice, Hell a $35 raspberry pi and octoprint with Cura/sli3er addons will work just fine for 3D printing. That’s the setup I have to run 4 Creality Ender 3’s.

If I need direct access to do slight in app minipulation of an stl file, I use a simple win10 box running on an old amdA10-7850k system. I have sli3er, Cura 3.5.1, and Simplify 3D as my primary slicers. Mesh mixer also works pretty well for simple model minipulation.

You don’t need anything very powerfully to slice stl files, or to submit to printers for printing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube