add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

8gb or 16gb

vitexo
  • 19 months ago

Hello,

I currently have 8600k @4.8Ghz, 2x4Gb Ram@3000, GTX 1070. As of right now, 8GB is more than enough for all my needs. However, I will be getting 3440x1440 monitor. So I wonder do I need more RAM with a higher resolution monitor? I found a good deal for 2x4Gbof RAM that matched the one I have right now. It costs 69$ (decent deal) and I was thinking to get it. Is it worth it or not?

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi vitexo you will not need more cpu memory/ram if you are getting a higher resolution monitor. Lets say you have a 1060 3gb card that would probably in most cases will not be able to run a resolution like the one you are talking about, you currently have a gtx 1070 with 8gb of video memory/ram that will run your monitor just fine plus the 1070 and 1070ti are made for 1440p gaming. Hope this answers your question.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I'll stick with 8gb :)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

1070 / 1070ti won’t do great for high refresh rate 1440p

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

really didn't know i thought 1070ti would do it fine but ok then.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it depends on how you define "high". The 1070Ti will run entirely decent, over-60 fps at 1440p, depending on game you might have to fiddle with settings. It's certainly not going to hit 144fps on ultra consistently.

The 1070 would be iffier. The 1070Ti is a lot closer to a 1080 than it is to a 1070, I believe.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with you on that one and yea it would be almost impossible to consistently hit 144fps on ultra settings.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

More RAM depends on what you plan to do with it. Resolution has nothing to do with it.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Imho, you can never have enough RAM. If your mobo/memory slots allow it, always get as much as you can (afford). I think 16gb should be the min. - it sucks trying 'to add' memory - trying to get the same spec /speed everything so it's better to get the 'extra' if you can. I recommend going with 16gb over 8gb 'even if you don't need that much' right now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube