PCPartPicker

• Register

Anyone tried calling a retailer to see....

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Ardenb64 5 months ago

...if they'd match or beat your build price you have listed? I'm buying everything from scratch, and I plan to take advantage on Black Friday. Here's my potential build : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qQq8mq

I am thinking about calling Newegg, giving them my build list and seeing if they'd beat the price outright so they could get the entire order....?

Comments Sorted by:

GrinderCB 2 points 5 months ago

IMO its worth a shot but set yourself a range of where you'd like Newegg's price to fall for the entire list. Sadly, we've become accustomed to just paying the sticker price without asking about deals, price drops, or just plain haggling. They might not drop the price but they might add a few incentive items. I once bargained with a rep at Tiger Direct over RAM and a graphics card. They didn't lower the price but they did throw in a 3-pack of compressed air, some anti-static cloths and a tube of thermal grease, all of which I needed anyway. Just don't be rude or pushy when trying to bargain with the phone rep. If they have it to offer they'll do it but if it doesn't exist then its back to buying the parts piecemeal from different vendors.

Ardenb64 submitter 1 point 5 months ago

Appreciate that info!

Btw I plan on using this for photo editing, light PS and vid editing and some gaming. All around work and play.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

I strongly recommend against choosing parts with a parametric filter like that. User ratings have no bearing on good or bad a product is. You just choosing the cheapest parts that meet the very basic criteria without doing anymore digging. You are taking multiple shoots in the dark with them constantly changing. Example, the PSU. It is being filtered by efficiency and user ratings which have nothing to do with how good the PSU is. The current PSU isn't awful but you can do a LOT better. You have a blower style 56 in your build which is going to run hot and loud since you can't filter to account for coolers. You are also avoiding parts that people on here haven't reviewed. The board has a not so great VRM and the BIOS may need updated. You have it set to choose either a 1440P monitor or a 1440P ultrawide monitor which are totally different when it comes to how size is measured and they have different ratios. It can't account for a better part for only a dollar or even 1 cent more.You should either pick parts by hand or hand pick the parts for the parametric(pointless for a personal build, useful for a build guide such as the ones PCPP makes).

As for your question this won't work since the build is going to be constantly changing due to price changes. Ignoring that I seriously doubt they would do that, never heard of any store doing that without having a price match policy.

I agree with you with the filter. It hasn't really worked so far the way I'd like it to. I don't like that board, and I've been hoping for a 56 with fans to come near that price. I do believe that will be the monitor I'll buy.

Do you have suggestions for a better psu at that price?

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

What is your budget for this build?

I intend to keep it under 2k, including 21:9 monitor, peripherals, etc.

Everything but the desk, basically.

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 5 months ago

Do you have a second monitor already? You are going to want a IPS monitor for editing. If you require freesync/gysnc and 100hz that is going to push the build out of budget. If can live with just 60hz and freesync then you can get a reasonably priced monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $52.39 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $158.17 @ OutletPC
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $74.99 @ Adorama
Storage Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Video Card $418.98 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140mm Fan $14.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140mm Fan $14.95 @ Amazon
Monitor LG - 34UB88-P 34.0" 3440x1440 75 Hz Monitor $426.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard EagleTec - KG010 Wired Gaming Keyboard $38.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse $49.97 @ Walmart
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1930.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-16 23:42 EST-0500

Got a large HSF to keep XFR working good. I've got a similar cooler on my 2600X with a good board and it can get it to 4.15Ghz which is only .05 Ghz lower than I can manually overclock it.

I got a significantly better board.

You could bump up the SSD to 1TB if you want.

It has a 56 with a good cooler on that won't sound like a leaf blower.

Got a signicantly better PSU.

Got two fans and got the square versions.

Got a monitor that is IPS and freesync.

Thanks for putting time into this for me.

I saw that monitor when I first began my search for everything but wrote it off due to its' refresh rate. But I think you're right; I probably won't notice the difference between 75-100Hz when doing most of my work, and I'm not a gaming professional.

Are Those blower-style cards really that loud? The tower will be sitting in a built-in enclosure in the office, so while I hope that'd bring noise down, I'm worried about heat. I've even thought about using computer fans built in to the desk enclosure to move more air.

GrinderCB 1 point 4 months ago

Agree somewhat on user ratings. By themselves as a criteria in your build they're worthless. If it comes down to a tie breaker between two components I use user ratings and reviews, but with a grain of salt. The phrase "worst CPU I ever bought" doesn't help, but if the reviewer took the time to describe problems in more detail than they can be very helpful. Like with most other purchases you have to use your head and not make knee-jerk decisions.