add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Optane Memory as Cache?

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

13 months ago

I have a SSD but i also store lots of files on my 2TB HDD from Seagate ( 7200RPM ) which is my secondary drive.

Would it be possible to have Optane act as a cache for my HDD and what would the preformance increase be?

( Iv'e already seen Optane reviews on YT but they always use the Optane as a replacement for an SSD instead of using it with an SSD )

( looking at the 16gb and 32gb kits )

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes you can use it, it will just another storage device but Optane is of terrible value. If you have a Intel CPU you could use fuzedrive which works on the same concept as Optane but you can use any storage device as cache i.e a 2.5 SATA SSD, a m.2 NVME SSD, a M.2 SATA SSD, another HDD if wanted to for whatever stupid reason, etc. It only costs $20 and supports cache drive size up to 250GB. Get a 120GB SSD for ~$25, $20 for fuze drive and you will have similar cost to a 32GB Optane stick but nearly 4 times the cache size and 15 times the size of cache found on a typical hybrid HDD.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! If i decide to add SSD cache into my HDD ill take this into consideration

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to use Intel Optane to boost a non boot drive you NEED to have an 8th gen Intel platform or later to do so. Also it needs to be a b360 chipset or higher, the h310 will not support optane boost. Now depending on the files you dump on your HDD really depends if optane is even worth it. If you are dumping pictures/movies/documents/random stuff then there is zero reason to use optane. If you use a HDD for a steam drive and install a bunch of games on it then optane becomes a great option. This video will show what I mean for using optane to boost a game drive.

My sister on Her Build is using a 16gb optane module paired with a 2tb HDD for her steam folder so most of her games are installed on it. We chose that option as it was cheaper than buying a 1TB SSD and we re-used her old 256gb SSD from her old PC and that clearly wasn't large enough for her games. Just was a better option for price per GB while not having just HDD performance. In practice first time loading a game it is HDD slow but after that it gets faster and it really is in between a SSD and HDD.

This will not work on 7th gen Intel or before and certainly not on AMD at all. AMD has StoreMI (chipset limited still) but it is not nearly as good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVXpGbgBEI

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube