• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

galacticPerson 4 months ago

I have recently had multiple different comments downvoted with no reason given at all, almost as if someone wanted their comment at the top so downvoted all others. Most of the time when I get downvoted I get some kind of reason, but recently almost all of my downvotes have been with no reason given, bringing my karma down much lower than I would like. What the heck is happening? It seems to me at this point the Karma system needs to either be improved or removed, people should really have to give a reason before up or downvoting, it's getting quite annoying.

Comments Sorted by:

manirelli staff 8 Builds 11 points 4 months ago

It looks like someone targeted you and another user with mass-downvotes. These have been removed.

Root_User 4 points 4 months ago

Simple solution: Lower your expectations for the system and realize that comment karma generally doesn't matter.

Sometimes the number of upvotes or downvotes correlates with a meaningful or garbage post, respectively, but there's no reason to hold the expectation that it will all the time, or even most of the time.

Zeromus725 7 points 4 months ago

“realize that comment karma generally doesn't matter”

I need the points for when they open up the PCPP store.

Root_User 2 points 4 months ago

That's a good point. Thanks for pointing it out.

Zeromus725 3 points 4 months ago

You’re very welcome! I will gift you a point for the compliment.

galacticPerson submitter 1 point 4 months ago

I'm not holding any kind of high expectations, I'm just pointing out only a few months ago everything was fine and most downvotes I was getting were because I was being stupid. Nowadays the only downvotes I get are for absolutely 0 reason. I'm just trying to figure out what changed.

Shakaron 7 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

what changed.

Nothing. Jerks have always been around.

If people find some reason to downvote you, they do.

If they don't, they still do it. (These are the jerks.)

Nothing much we can do about it. Removing the downvote option has been suggested a couple of times. Never happened. Probably not gonna happen this time either.

PrivatePengu 2 points 4 months ago

I personally don't hope that it gets removed. It's not about karma here, it's about getting the good comments to the top, and the only way to do that is upvote/downvote.

Shakaron 7 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

I have no idea what you're talking about.

If people downvote you because of whatever (not because you wrote something incorrectly) then it does not align to what you said: "good comments on top". Your comment may be helpful, but hey, let's just downvote you because we hate your guts. So your comment may end up on the bottom, regardless of how useful it was. (I'm not saying this happens every day, but these things happen. And as far as I see, they are toxic and can mess with the "usefulness" rank.)

Also, if someone does something wrong, isn't it more helpful writing a short reply saying "I think that's not correct, because of this/that" and provide maybe an URL to some source. How does downvoting help?

Upvoting is fine, it can be abused less than downvoting (although I have seen unhelpful replied upvoted).

PrivatePengu 1 point 4 months ago

Well, it's just my personal opinion. AFAIK, replies moves a comment further up, and downvotes moves it further down. So I personally prefer downvoting and replying why, rather than just replying why said comment is wrong.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Upvoting without downvoting is the same ******** Youtube pulled and it's garbage.

I get not wanting to see a system abused but if we think we can quantify the good without quantifying the bad I think we are setting ourselves up for a system further from idyllic than what is currently in place with conventional downvote/upvote systems.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Yeah I have noticed that sometimes I will comment on a page and come back to find every comment on that page downvoted. It is weird and stupid. It is at its worst in the Part List Opinions Wanted and Create a Part List For Me.

TheGamingBible 1 point 4 months ago

y do u care about comment karma?

Memo1010 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Another thing to consider is that a user's credit karma alone doesn't say too much about how much they know about computers. For example someone might have no idea how computers work but share a bunch of good memes/jokes and gain a bunch of upvotes form it. Another person might know what they are talking about but have a low karma because they say something controversial (particularly in politics and religion, as I know from experience). Ultimately there is probably not a fix to this other then removing credit karma, which I think would do more harm then good, so it will probably not be changed any time soon

[comment deleted]