add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Messed up my OS

Steam_Works

14 months ago

So I have the MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard, and during boot i was curious what the F11 key did during the boot, and when I did so, there were multiple options of which storage unit to boot off of. I decided to click on "Adata" because i have an m.2, I was wondering if it would speed up my boot time as I had accidentally installed windows on my HHD. When I did so it took a bit to load and then displayed "press any key to skip disk checking". I naturally wanted to speed up the process, so I pressed a key. After a bit it finally got to the normal Windows screen. I signed in and then i realized the normal windows screen was off. I then realized that this was the old windows desktop that i had from my old computer, I had since transferred the hard drive over to my current build and for whatever reason it worked on the new motherboard. I'm not sure how it works as the operating system on my old computer was an OEM version. And now i'm where i am. I'd like to get to my version of windows i'm used to. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 0 points

EDIT: Original reply deleted since Windows in question is OEM.

• 14 months ago
  • 0 points

It sort of sounds like you had windows installed on multiple drives and booted up the wrong drive, try F11 again and boot your HDD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube