PCPartPicker

• Register

Quick Question: Is it ok to have a GTX 1050ti with a RX 480 in the same computer?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

mr_cool998 2 months ago

Just a quick question I wanted to know since my monitor is freesync

Comments Sorted by:

Root_User 2 points 2 months ago

General suggestions for two cards:

• PCIe slots (physical slots, as well as the desired lanes) with appropriate spacing, or risers.

• Sufficient power (and power connectors) for both cards and the rest of your system.

• A good cooling solution that will work well for the loads you plan on running.

For an Nvidia 1050ti and AMD 570 (or 480, whichever you really meant):

• You should be able to install both drivers on Windows 10 (or some other versions) without much issue, and will be able to use them for separate monitors. It's also doable on most Linux distributions, but is much more of a hassle, especially if you're not planning on doing anything graphically intense on the secondary monitor anyways. (In that case, I'd suggest just selling off the 1050ti and plugging both monitors into the 570.)

It ultimately comes down to what you plan on using the 1050ti for, or if it's just to drive the secondary monitor with miscellaneous tasks, something an RX570 or 480 should easily be able to do without a significant impact to gaming performance.

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 1 point 2 months ago

Like are both cards going to be plugged into the motherboard at the same time? If so you can't have 2 different GPUs running at the same time except for specific situations like a PhysX card.

mr_cool998 submitter 2 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

I used to run a GTX 750 and my 1050 ti at the same time for dual monitors so I just wanted to know if it was okay to do with two cards that use different driver software

macetotheface 1 point 2 months ago

It should work in theory, but may I ask why you don't just plug the other monitor into one of the other ports on the 1050 Ti or 480? They can typically support at least 3 monitors each.

Well I have two monitors so I didn't really phrase it correctly. I would have my main 144hz monitor plugged into the 570 (not 480 that was a typo) and have my second monitor plugged into the 1050ti

macetotheface 1 point 2 months ago

Again, my questions still stands, why not just plug both monitors into the back of a single GPU? The 570 for instance can be used for both monitors, so the 1050Ti wouldn't be needed.

It never really struck my mind that I could plug in both monitors to one GPU because I'm used to having two GPU's plugged in to use both monitors. So if I can I'll try selling the GPU when I end up buying the new graphics card

rmatthews16 1 point 2 months ago

Simple answer is yes, however you have to consider certain factors. Can your power supply handle the total draw power from both cards on max. Can your case handle the extra heat generated by having two cards.

Why have two cards in your case especially amd & nvidia? That's just over complicating the system.

They won't work together, they will both work independently so you won't get much of a benefit for running both. Both cards are getting dated, you can sell both and buy a better card if you are looking for performance.

I made a typo in the post, I was planning on buying the RX 570 not the 480 lol. And then I have two monitors I was wanting to do a dual monitor setup with the 570 powering my 144hz monitor while my 60hz monitor was powered by the 1050ti. I used to run dual monitors in the past with my old computer having both the 1050ti and a 750 in it and I was doing just fine on power and such. The main reason I ask is because both these cards use two completely different drivers and I didn't know if that would be an issue.

This is the GPU I planned on buying. If you have a better suggestion please let me know and I specifically need an RX 570 because of the freesync compatibility that my monitor also has