add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Screen resolution issues with Windows 10

winona78

14 months ago

Hi Guys,

I just upgraded to the Alienware AW3418DW ultrawide and I am constantly having issues with resolution upon log in. Sometimes it is right, but most times it auto sets it to 1024x768. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have looked a lot online, but I can't seem to find anything that solved it. My graphics drivers are up to date. I am running on an RX580.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

You're using HDMI or DP?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I would make sure that the cable is good as well as the port on the monitor and GPU. Do you have another PC/monitor to test with? Are you using multiple user accounts? Do you have any sort of dual-boot?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

@Ace - I am using a DP

@Rin - I am using the same DP cable that I had with my 1080P monitors and haven't had an issue with resolution changing since buying them about 1.5 years ago.

Lately, the custom scaling is also going back to default as well. I set it to 175% to make everything larger, and will constantly have to change this back as well. I am assuming they are correlated as the scaling is also found on the resolution page.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, that is the correct cable.

Make sure you don't have large icons selected... Change icon size Windows 10 to anything but large... For some reason large icons will reset the screen to default when rebooted.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, they were set to large so I have switched it over to medium. Thanks for the input! I will update if I have any future issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube