• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

eeyoresrevenge 3 months ago

So I am planning on taking out my barely used 1060 and switching to AMD. Why? It’s simple. PRICE OF MONITORS!!! Gsync is the only piece of NVIDIA I was hanging onto but since I hate TN panels that leaves me with 1440 144hz Gsync panels which I mine as well saw off an arm to buy.

With that said, the GSYNC IPS and even VA models are less exciting because it literally double the price but not double the Perfomance of AMDs freesync.

Any advice on what to do? Or not to do it at all? Seems the 590 is just a 580 OC’d by about 10% with worse power draw

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

It would depend on the refresh rate you are looking for.

For Freesync.

60hz/75hz are left with very small dynamic ranges mostly running 44/48/50hz for the minimum supported range to max refresh of the monitor.

144hz if it supports Low Frame Rate Compensation will lower the minimum supported to 30/35hz otherwise they mostly run 50hz minimum dynamic range.

The thing to remember with either of the frame sync techs though is you need to keep the frame rates inside supported dynamic range, anything over or under still tears as well as some times triggering tearing when leaving dynamic range.

You can use one of the V-sync options to fix screen tearing beyond the dynamic range, but that also removes the benefit frame syncing tech.

Edit: Note. AMD Enhanced Sync shouldn't be paired with a Freesync unlike its marketing, it only V-syncs within monitor refresh rate which is covered by Freesync, and does nothing when needed beyond Freesync dynamic range.

Seems the 590 is just a 580 OC’d by about 10% with worse power draw

That sums it up perfectly.

eeyoresrevenge submitter 1 point 3 months ago

So isn’t freesync like Gsync where if your frame rate is is 60fps or above it will maintain a smoother frame rate. For example...if my game is pushing 160hz won’t Gsync help maintain a smooth frame rate by matching it to the monitors refresh of say 144hz? Same with freesync

For example...if my game is pushing 160hz won’t Gsync help maintain a smooth frame rate by matching it to the monitors refresh of say 144hz? Same with freesync

They only work within dynamic range which ends at the max refresh rate of the monitor.

So in that example the frame sync stops at 144hz and you have no frame syncing at 160hz.

Edit: No frame sync tech can match the frames which are being produced faster then the refresh rate of the monitor, V-sync works because it matches the frame rate output to the refresh rate of the monitor.

So should I just get a 1440p/60hz monitor with Vsync instead of switching to AMD and freesync?

That would be the cheapest and easiest option.

If you want the frame sync.

Freesync at that refresh range you want to use Frame Rate Target Control to cap your refresh rate under the max refresh rate of your monitor at 58/59hz as it runs a +/- 1-2hz range, and adjust your settings to keep your minimums over your minimum dynamic range which depending on the monitor is going to be 44hz to 50hz.

G-sync functions the same other then its minimum dynamic range is 30-35hz so it is a little more forgiving at the minimum frame rates.

May be the cheapest but I’m sure Freesync offers better gameplay and smoother gameplay compared to Vsync.

So within the AMD software I want to cap my Minimum refresh rate at basically 58-59fps? So the freesync doesn’t drop me say to like 30fps? Right? I’m a little confused

esotken 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I can only give you my use case.

My system:

• Ryzen 1600 @ 4.1ghz-
  • MSI B350 tomahawk
  • MSI Radeon Rx 580 8gb Armor OC at 1366 boost
  • Viewsonic Vx2457-MHD 75hz 1820x1080 freesynch monitor

After setting freesynch active on the monitor, enabling 75hz in Windows display settings, I am able to hit my max fps quite easily in the games I regularly play:

• Warframe
  • siege
  • Prey 2017
  • DOOM 2016
  • The Witcher III
  • Stellaris
  • HOI4
  • Civ VI and V
  • Ashes of the Singularity ( yea I actually play it )

Its connected via displayport, and the only complaint I have about this monitor is that its stand is not the best, but then I only paid around $130 for this monitor, so I am not complaining too much.

Thank you

If you have any questions, feel free!

I just pulled trigger on a Acer 27” XB271HU Gsync. A little more than I wasnted to spend, and by little I mean 200$ more lol. I may cancel and just grab a 1440p/75hz but most seem to be only 60hz. 75hz is more 1080p IPS.

Wondering Gsync is worth the price tag. If not I’ll cancel and get a Vsync monitor.

I’m using a 1060 6gb

honestly dunno what a 1060 6gb could do at 1440p. I know for my 580 if I went 1440p the best I could get is maybe 60's, 70's. Both the 580 and 1060 6gb really are not great at 1440p. I can tell ya you will not hit that 144 fps mark, at least with good quality settings.

Yea I canceled that order. Going to grab a 1440p/60-75hz or a 1080p 144hz VA or 1080p/75hz.

Rather the 27” 1440p cuz I play Xbox too

I’m 33 gaming days are over soon