• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

AHKoT 3 months ago

So my local retailers only have these 2 available versions of the Vega 56 with similar price. I'm not living in the US so Amazon, Newegg, etc... is not an option. AirBoost is blower style and Windforce is the air fan style. Which one should I choose if I'm going for a small mATX build?

Comments Sorted by:

eesti 4 points 3 months ago

The blower card should be better for your use case

Hammer182 1 Build 3 points 3 months ago

Blowers tend not to cool the GPU as well as a dual/triple fan setup, but they have the benefit of exhausting all the heat out of the case. They tend to be louder because only one spinning device is responsible for cooling the card AND the bulk of the noise that device generates will flow out along with the exhaust heat.

Fan style coolers, on the other hand, exhaust only a portion of the heat out of the case. The rest bleeds off into the case to be exhausted by the primary airflow of the case fans.

eesti's point is that in an mATX case, there is a real concern about bleeding GPU heat into such a small physical volume where there are already other heat generators present (the CPU being the primary). The conservative play is to get the blower style so that the GPU heat is isolated from the rest of the system.

BP's point is that it is possible to benefit from the superior cooling of fan-style GPU coolers in an mATX build if you're careful about the overall airflow within your case. A fan-style GPU is perfectly acceptable in an mATX case, but you may have to upgrade your case fans to ensure you're keeping enough cool air moving through when the system is under load.

Both users are right, but the solution that is right for you comes down to your part selection and budget concerns. Given that you're looking at Vega 56s, though, I tend to agree with BP just ever so slightly. If heat becomes an issue, you can undervolt both card types. If after that it's STILL an issue, however, the open cooler of the fan-style will benefit more from case fan upgrades than the enclosed cooler of the blower-type.

AHKoT submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Oops, sorry for the late reply, didn’t notice that I have a message. Thank you for the lengthy reply!

Basically, I only have 2 choices, either the msi air boost or the gigabytes dual fan type, but I have heard a lot of complaints about the Gigabytes version so I really don’t knowing what to do now. I’m currently living in a dorm with my roommates so I don’t want to annoy them with the fan noise. To make matter worse, I’m living in Asia so Amazon and Newegg is not even an option. :(

My question is that even if the blower style is louder, is it that audible that could potentially mess up with my roommates sleeping time? Would undervolt also lower the volume of the fan?

Hammer182 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Ambient noise level is a huge factor with regard to the first question. If you lived in a quiet neighborhood where if the dog three houses over can be heard barking at night, yeah, a blower fan could be disruptive. Conversely, it probably wouldn't be noticed at all if you lived in a place subject to background activity/noise all the time.

You could minimize the impact of fan noise by placing the case under a desk and away from the corner of the room. My PC is on top of a table in the exact corner of the room, and it acts like a megaphone to amplify the noise that is generated.

Secondly, undervolting reduces the amount of electricity consumed to provide the same amount of performance. Less juice used means less heat generated. Less heat generated means lower fan RPMs, which means less fan noise. How much undervolting potential you get is a silicon lottery issue; some people have managed drastic reductions while others lose stability almost immediately. You won't know what your card can manage until you try.

Ok, thank you for the answer! Those are definitely helpful tips to minimize the noise. I'm living in an apartment next to a highway so the background noise might be able to help me in this case. Lastly, just knowing that undervolt can help with the noise is already a good new for me :)

BetrayedPredator 2 points 3 months ago

Most likely the Windforce

mATX cases generally have fine airflow

RandomJozza 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Don't get the Gigabyte Windforce card, there are so many people who have been having issues with it, it is far and away the worst third party vega 56. I just had to RMA mine.

Ok, I will take the MSI then, thank you for this m8!

We are having different opinions here, I'm a bit confused @@