add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer fails to boot after installing water cooler

manrangan

5 months ago

Hey guys. This isn't really my first build, I've done a few others. However, this was my first time installing a water cooler. It went fine, up until I tried to fire my machine up. After spending a few hours trying different things, I'm a bit at a loss here. I'm not too sure what I've done wrong. Here's my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fQcy7W And just to help illustrate my problem, here's a picture and a video. I apologise in advance for anyone witnessing my lack of cable management, heh. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vQA_qTwaHfodum66bYrlRnupytEtPYKX/view?usp=drivesdk https://drive.google.com/file/d/17QhFNaHeHkG31eyGqhHi_SDTc3W-qjNg/view?usp=drivesdk

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tested if the PC boots and works fine with an air cooler?

If you have, then you must have knocked out some cables while you installed the AIO liquid cooler. Go back to the point where everything works. Tidy up the cables. Make sure things still work. Now apply the AIO liquid cooler.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It worked fine before I had the liquid cooler. I used to use an air cooler. Haven't tried it with the air cooler, but I tried plugging everything back up again and still no dice.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems to be according to the video that the psus short circuit protection is tripping

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? Is there any way I can fix that, or do I just need to buy a new PSU?

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd tear it all down and redo before buying new ****. You could work on that wire management at the same time. Bench test it out side the box and then keep testing as you go.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. Hopefully I don't have to buy anything else. My build's already pretty expensive lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The short circuit protection tripping means that there is a short somewhere in the system. Did the new cooler require you to replace the backplate?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, I did remove it and put it back on, though.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if I understand but I'd use the back plate that came with the new cooler.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check to make sure the backplate is secure against the motherboard and not touching any part of the case. If you assembled th cooler while it’s inside the case it’s possible that the backplate is cross threaded and sitting crooked.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems that the power supply isn't even turning on anymore. No fans spinning on it, nothing, nada. Guess I'll just have to buy a new one. Thanks for your help though guys.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

So...sorry to bump an old thread, but it appears my power supply might've been fine, because the new one I bought didn't solve my issue. Computer does nothing when I try to turn it on. As I said before, no fans are spinning, and the RGB isn't turning on, either. Am I looking at a dead motherboard here?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Possibly, if you did not install the back plate correctly

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Check front IO panel wires in particular the power switch wire. Try shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard with a jumper, screw driver or paper clip. If power switch on case is bad or unplugged this will start the PC. Your manual will show you the pins if in question.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube