add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What are your experience(s) with Roswill PSU's

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

12 months ago

There is one thing i do know

and that is Roswill is known for making cheap stuff, some good and some, not as good.

How do their PSU's stand up in 2018?

Good value? Avoid? Do these have an "RGB function" when you boot the system?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

That all depends on the PSU in question just like it would with Seasonic, Evga, Corsair, etc.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand it isn't as popular as the 3 companies you mentioned but i want to know if Roswill is trustworthy or if it becomes a room heater..

How about these?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Power Supply Rosewill - 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $50.39 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $50.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 21:57 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Power Supply Rosewill - Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $62.78 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $62.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 22:00 EST-0500
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel like they have the most mixed bag of quality of their power supply units units. Their low end stuff are pretty bad but their mid to higher tier stuff (like that Rosewill Capstone) are pretty good and reliable.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Brand means nothing. Those two units are meh. Rosewill hasn't made a PSU recently.

I'd just stick to the commonly recommended PSUs:

Budget: Corsair CX450, BitFenix Formula Gold

Mid-Ranged: EVGA G2, Corsair RMx 2018, BitFenix Whisper M

High End: Corsair HXi, Corsair AXi, EVGA T2 (These are actually never recommended because they're stupid expensive)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I kinda disagree with the Rosewill Capstone being "meh". I still think they're still pretty good.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/rosewill-capstone-550m-power-supply-review/

You can take a look on them.

Also brand does mean something...to an extent. Like I have yet to see a seasonic psu that's actually bad enough to be considered to be avoided (ie: the s12ii. Though group regulated and missing protection, it's still reliable for low to mid range builds and plenty of longevity)

Also all Diablotek psu are utter garbage and practically fire hazards.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Also brand does mean something...to an extent. Like I have yet to see a seasonic psu that's actually bad enough to be considered to be avoided (ie: the s12ii. Though group regulated and missing protection, it's still reliable for low to mid range builds and plenty of longevity)

The S12II and M12II should definitely be avoided. For modern systems. Older systems, sure.

Seasonic is a tad overrated and their PSUs are now getting overpriced for what they are. 90$ for a Seasonic Focus Plus. Pretty high compared to the competition. The primes are great, but at their price point are ultimately beaten out by the Corsair's HXi and AXi platforms overall. (It's kind of min-maxing, but you might as well get whatever is the best value)

But, we say brand doesn't matter because no one can always produce a good unit. It's goes into why we also say "don't buy an unreviewed unit". Whether it's Corsair, Seasonic, or even less known brands like Ultra or even Silentanium and Sama.

You can speculate. If Seasonic released a new high end PSU lineup, chances are, it'll be goods. But, since they're raising their prices, will it beat Corsair's mighty AXi line? Now, onto EVGA. If it's a higher end unit, you could speculate that it'll be a decent or good unit. But raise some eyebrows at their low end unit. EVGA has more bad units than good. Ultimately, brand doesn't matter. It's all about model. Any brand can make or good are bad PSU. Some more than others.

As for the capstone, I maintain that it's meh. There's no MOV at the transient filter stage. Looking at the soldering work, it's not great. Could be a lot better. It only has a single 12v rail. Not that much of an issue, but the reviews I am looking at doesn't say anything about having a properly configured OCP and there's no mention of OTP. Since no one tests the protections, I would ere in the side of caution. It has some good qualities, like have a half-bridge LLC topology with synchronous rectification. That's good to see in a mid-ranged unit. Performance wise, it's acceptable. It's within ATX spec, but nowadays, that's not much of an accomplishment as most PSUs can meet ATX spec. I am more concerned about everything else.

To conclude, the PSU is "okay" or "meh. Acceptable performance with okay build quality. Is it dangerous to use? Likely not. But there's better units out there.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't ATX spec based off of old group regulated PSUs?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube