• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DrinkLikeAGilmore 2 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/299566-700-900-usd-gaming-desktop-parts-list-request-please

Parts for my son's pc gaming computer arrived and I am wanting to wrap each part individually for him to unwrap on Christmas morning as he is not expecting to get such a high dollar amount (for us) this year. I thought it would be a good idea to have him help put his computer together along with me so we both are part of the learning process.

I am still waiting for the Windows USB I ended up ordering.

Maybe I overlooked the link, but is there a page somewhere that shows steps into putting the parts into proper location and in what order they should go? I am hoping this is something that we will be able to figure out how to get together own our own and have up and running for him later Christmas night.

Thank you all for any feedback :)

Comments Sorted by:

floridaboz 4 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Like kschendel explain, there is many videos around youtube explaining.

But also, building the PC with your son would be fun, but doing the research on how to do it with your son also might add to the appreciation of the system. If i had a son, i will sit with him and research it with him, to learn together

eesti 2 points 2 months ago

as floridaboz said, you should get your son to help you, it could be good bonding time, also, what case did you end up getting?

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

There are any number of youtube videos floating around.

Very roughly: mount the PSU and maybe the case fan(s) into the case. Assemble RAM, CPU, CPU cooler onto the motherboard and install mobo into the case. Hook up lots of wires. Install storage units into case, more wires. Install GPU and GPU power cables if any. Install any other bits that are left. Stop, walk away, take a break. Return, double-check all wiring especially PSU. Power on and off you go.

It's a good idea to mentally fit the various parts to where they go in the case once you have everything unboxed, think about where the wires are going for cable routing and any unusually tight spaces. For instance, are there any fan headers that you won't be able to reach once the CPU cooler is in place .. that sort of thing.

Crazyfool 1 point 2 months ago

download a pdf of the motherboard manual now and start reading it to see where all the connections need to go and watch some youtube build videos. Just take it one step at a time.

Install the PSU into the Case. Then the Motherboard, CPU, RAM (and video card if you don't have integrated graphics on the cpu). Key here is to make sure you have all the cables connected (there are two from psu to motherboard, the case buttons go to header pins on the motherboard, cpu must have fan on (with a pad or thermal paste), cpu fan must be plugged in and ram can sometimes be finicky and need to be reseated. Once all that is in you can turn it on and get to the bios screen. If that is all good then proceed with adding the HDD/SDD drive and installing windows.

Reading that motherboard manual in advance is helpful to get the layout of where all these things need to connect, as well as which ram slots are supposed to be used etc.