• Log In
  • Register

Forum Search


  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed


eesti 4 months ago

I got Pokemon Emerald for the GBA, I want a cheap way to capture it legally for a let's play, for context I have the AGB-001 if that helps

Comments Sorted by:

gorkti200 3 Builds 5 points 4 months ago

Download an emulator... lol.

eesti submitter 1 point 4 months ago

is there a more legal option? I'm in the US

ssjg5rlly 3 points 4 months ago

Emulators are legal to download and use, however, sharing copyrighted ROMs online is illegal. There is no legal precedent for ripping and downloading ROMs for games you own, though an argument could be made for fair use. As long as you are not sharing copyrighted ROMs online and not downloading them, you are absolutely fine.

eesti submitter 1 point 4 months ago

and how am i supposed to legally obtain the rom from my cartridge?

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

...I mean you own the game and Nintendo won't go after you at all (they only go after the websites that has the roms or mods)

It's a grayish area but I've been fine for 3 years now.

eesti submitter 1 point 4 months ago

nintendo doesn't know if you own the game, though

VapidDarkness 2 points 4 months ago

I mean, you already own a copy of the game right? Personally if you already own the game I don't consider it illegal.

eesti submitter 1 point 4 months ago

it's still quite the gray area, how am I supposed to get the rom legally?

VapidDarkness 1 point 4 months ago

Yeah, it is a gray area, but honestly I wouldn't really worry about it. The game came out 14 years ago.

eesti submitter 2 points 4 months ago

we're talking about nintendo here

gorkti200 3 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

You could get a GameCube.

Then get a Game Boy Player adapter.

Then use a capture device to capture your GameCube feed.

eesti submitter 1 point 4 months ago

I determined that it would cost approximately $120 to do that, will be considered