• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Ryzin 4 months ago

Which AMD AIB partners allow you to take the stock cooler off and use your own (2x noctua A12X25 fans) for quieter cooling. Which ones allow you to RMA the product as long as you didn't ruin it by taking it off? I have emailed Asus, Gigabyte, and Sapphire. I was wondering if anyone knew.

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

All do assuming you are in the US. They can not legally void your warranty for removing their cooler unless the damage is related to you doing so. Those stickers are just a giant legal bluff to stop stupid people from doing stupid things.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

Although you will need more than just fans to cool the card. You will need a heatsink or a AIO(although it would come with fans) in addition to fans unless you want to fry the card.

Ryzin submitter 1 point 4 months ago

I would be building in the Node 202 which has 2x120mm fan mounts in front of the graphics card intake. My idea was to remove the cooling fans off the graphics card an using some noctua a12x25 fans as the gpu fans instead making it light years quieter.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Not sure how good that would be cooling wise but it won't hurt to try since you can always put the stock fans back on.

In linus's video he saw 5 degrees C drops in temps on the strix 1070, which has arguably great cooling. He was using F12 PWM fans and the a12x25s are the next gen up the F12s.

Rin_Itoh 1 point 4 months ago

As far as I know, none of them. This is because they won't (or at least will tell you they can't) be able to tell if the card was damaged because of improper manufacturing, shipping, your mod, etc. There are outliers here where if they have some sort of mass recall they may accept it, but even that is iffy. You will probably have to get in contact with someone at each company and explain exactly what you want to do. Even that might not work though, since they will probably tell you not to mod the card in any way or you will void your warranty, and they will keep of log of your conversations with the rep so that if you do RMA your card they can refer to that.

With that said (with the exception of RTX FE cards) it is fairly rare to actually have to RMA a new card.

Your best bet here would be to get a card off eBay that doesn't have a warranty and mod that one. You would save money and wouldn't have to worry about the warranty and all of that.

I know for sure EVGA and Zotac are cool with this but unfortunately they only make NVIDIA cards.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

The Noctua fans are likely to overdraw the fan headers on the card and burn them out.

I'm using the PWM fan headers on my motherboard and having it kick in when GPU is under load through the software "speedfan"

On two fans?

PWM doesn't properly cycle or work through a splitter since you are halving the signal and power output to the fans.

I'm using mulitple headers as stated in my comment.

Doesn't help to keep the card cool and let the CPU overheat just remember that.

What

I was gonna go with the 3600 anyways (when it releases) I didn't pay attention that it was the 2600x I just looked up the 2600 on amd.com and that was the first result. I was just trying to show that their CPUs max operating temp is 95c and not 65c like you said.

Max is when the CPU shuts down to save itself for AMD.

Thermal throttling point starts at 65c.

The thermal throttling point for most chips is 90C

For Intel.

But Ryzen isn't an Intel CPU and AMD threw out Intels book when making Ryzen.

Okay. The max operating temperature is 95C that means it starts underclocking itself when it reaches its max temperature (95C). And when it just can't handle the temperature it will just shut down to save the CPU from basically frying. Silicon quality can also affect it but not enough to bridge the 65C you're claiming. 65C is a cool temperature. Ryzen CPUs should be kept under 70-80C for max lifespan.

Alright. Thanks for all the responses. I have looked into it and will get a square trade accident protection plan with it for $40. I'm upgrading in January-February 2019 when AMD announces their awesome 7nm lineup at CES. I'm getting the Ryzen 5 3600 and (RX 3080 whatever it's named) and will remove the fans from the heatsink and use some a12x25's as video card fans instead. I want this PC for silence since my pc is pretty noisy rn. I'll be closing this thread.