add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build Issue to put it lightly

jlondon53

12 months ago

msi Z370-pro mother, Intel i5 8600k proc, G-series 200R 550 watt power, a solid state 500gb and a 1TB hard dr, Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory .

WON'T POWER ON at all. I get 'nothing' as soon as the power supply is plugged into the main power socket of the mother. I'm getting nothing to the front of case when everything is hooked up. Nothing to case or CPU fan. I've tested power supp without connecting to mother with a jumper and it's not DOA (power supply fan powers on).
Supply should be more than ample. I'm even planning on using the on-board sound/video for now. No cards. Power supply fan still worked when plugging power into CPU 8 pin power socket while jumped at power supply 24 pin. But plug 24pin into motherboard - zip. IDEAS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried jumpering (carefully!) the motherboard on-off switch pins? could be bad switch or bad case cabling. If that doesn't work, and all the cables are in the right connectors, it starts to sound like motherboard to me, unless it's something really funky with the PSU or 24-pin cable. What brand PSU is that?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for you kind efforts. If you mean jumping the motherboard pins to the on/off case switch - yes I did. Didn't work. Power supply is a Seasonic G series 550w. Again, Thanks!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like motherboard. Check to be sure your ram is on the compatibility list and try using 1 stick of ram, check manual for which slot to use when installing only 1 stick. Since it's Corsair probably not an issue.

Power supply fan still worked when plugging power into CPU 8 pin power socket while jumped at power supply 24 pin. But plug 24pin into motherboard.

Not sure what you mean but I assume you plugged in the 8-pin CPU power.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for responding. Ram is compatible but I haven't re-checked ram position (think I've got it right though) and will try one stick. To explain the other, I tested the PSU by jumping the green and a black wire on the psu 24pin main power cable which did result in turning on the power supply. It was completely disconnected from the mother. I then did the same while connected to the 8 pin cpu slot. PCU fan still worked. But when I plug main power into the motherboard - nothing. Hope that made more sense (I'm kind of a newbie if it's not already obvious). Thanks again!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

That helped. Correct me if I'm wrong. You had the 8 pin CPU power connected to the motherboard, the 24 pin main power connected as well. You made certain they were plugged in completely with no gap between the plug and socket. You had the ram installed and it made a click with the latch closing to hold it in, CPU and CPU cooler installed without issue. You plugged in the PSU and pushed the start button that is located on the motherboard, not the case, and nothing happened. If this is accurate is it possible for you to borrow another PSU? If nothing happens with a 2nd PSU it would be safe to say it is the motherboard. If the CPU was bad you would get a CPU error code whether audible or on the LED display on the board.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I could be looking at the wrong motherboard. You may not have the power button or LED. What's the complete model number for the board if you don't mind.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm not familiar with either a power button or LED on the mother itself. MSI Z370-A PRO LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay everything I said still applies but instead of pressing the power button on the motherboard you can short the 2 pins on the motherboard for the power switch. You can use a jumper, flat head screw driver or paper clip. Just be careful to only short the power switch pins. If you're not sure what pins the manual will clearly show you. If it powers up then you'll know its the power button on the case or its wiring. If you have an ohm meter or continuity checker you could check the case switch that way too. If it doesn't power up I'd RMA the motherboard. Good luck and keep us posted.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I already tried that too. No luck. Based upon what you and others have said, I've to return ship the mother for exchange and got it all packed up. Thank you so much. You've been very helpful!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, so this might be an obvious one, I'm sure you've probably already tried it, but it's worth asking:

Is the hard switch on the back of the PSU turned on? Also, if it is, is the PSU set to the correct voltage for your region?

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for your reply. I can certainly be fooled by the obvious (I'm a musician and the standby switches on my amps get me every time). Anyway, hard switch is definitely on. Didn't think to check region setting and will do that. But I'm in U.S. and would think if it was incorrectly set to the higher voltage I would have seen some smoke (grin). Thanks again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube