add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my PSU fried? Need help with my first time semi-complete PC build

pentalway

5 months ago

So, I was building my computer for the first time yesterday, and I had most of the parts and cables connected. So, I decided to test my computer. I plug in the power cable into my PSU, which is the EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply, and pressed the power switch and everything turned on. The graphics card was running, the MOBO was fully running, and everything seemed to be working. HOWEVER, at the time, I didn't have my cpu cable connected to the MOBO, so I wasn't getting any signal on my motherboard.

So, today, I connected it to my motherboard (taichi x399), and plugged my psu in, and I tried turning the power button on my computer on, and nothing really happened... The only thing that was lighting was the slowly blinking blue light on the MOBO that was lighting up the ASROCK logo on the cog... Nothing else was on. Not even my PSU. Thought it could have been that CPU cable, so I unplugged it, but still same results. Tried a few other things like moving both the RAM and GPU, but to no avail.

I then tried testing the PSU just by itself. I unplugged all the cables, and took it out of my case and I plugged it into the wall, and it didn't turn on... I tried switching eco mode on and off to see that would help, but nothing.

Is it possible that the CPU connector was the last straw. or it just happen to fry yesterday when I tested it? When I tested it yesterday, I couldn't turn it off through the power button on my case, so I just turned off my PSU after a while. I don't know if that would fry my PSU or not. I'm also guessing that 850 gold PSU isn't enough for what I have, which you can see in my system build.

And I also did test my PSU, by itself, right out of the box yesterday before I started working on my computer. When I tested it, it was running fine. Light was on, and the fan was running.

Link to my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pentalway/saved/

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I then tried testing the PSU just by itself. I unplugged all the cables, and took it out of my case and I plugged it into the wall, and it didn't turn on... I tried switching eco mode on and off to see that would help, but nothing.

That is because you didn't turn it on...You gotta short some wires to turn it on.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper%20Clip-EN.pdf

Or use the self tester that came with your PSU.

Also if lights are on in your PC then the PSU is working since its giving power.

Recheck (physically check since it may visually appear to be in all of the way but its not) all cables to make sure they are plugged in all of the way.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

When you say you "pushed the power button" are you talking about the power button on the case or the motherboard? If you was using the case power button the front IO panel wires may have come off the motherboard. Before you RMA all your ****, connect only the following to the PSU and see if it will boot. Motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, 1 stick of ram in slot 1 or 2, try both slots or refer to the manual for witch slot to use when using only 1 stick of ram. Unplug the front IO panel wires from the motherboard and use the start button on the motherboard. If it boots to the bios connect a hard drive and install your OS. Make sure the front IO panel wires are connected correctly and finish building it. I'd recommend boot testing with each addition as you go.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I feel pretty ******* stupid, but please forgive me guys! So, when I tested my PSU yesterday by itself, the real reason why it didn't turn off was because I didn't have the MOBO cable connected into my PSU. I took out EVERYTHING from the PSU including the MOBO cable. And then watching a youtube video had reminded me that I actually still need that cable plugged into my PSU with the other end not actually attached to the MOBO itself, but with a plastic cap to cover it for protection, I guess.

So I tried it with the MOBO cable attached to the PSU, and the PSU worked fine. Light was on, and fan was spinning. I just don't know why it wasn't working yesterday when I had all the cables attached to it, but I'm gonna try again later today.

And I do mean the power button on the case itself. My MOBO has a power button and a reset button on the board itself, but pressing the power button didn't seem to do anything.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It happens lol

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so I reconnected everything, and everything seemed to be working! I even got a display on my monitor saying something about choosing the bootdrive. I then turned off my computer, rearranged the cables because I had the PSU outside the case while I was testing it. And now when I turn on my computer, I get no signal... and the computer keeps turning on and off. Most of the lights are on. Fans are spinning, pump seemed to be working. It's only that the enermax logo isn't lit up anymore despite the fan running.

Can anyone help me out? I don't see any plugs that are left unplugged, and everything was plugged back into the original spots.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

This is gonna suck but you'll need to inspect all the PSU wires. Sometimes they can be pulled out the back of the plugs. Keep us posted.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's defective then why would it work yesterday and not today? I'm just wondering what I could have possibly done to fry it, Did I mention I have two AIO coolers? One that comes with my GPU already installed and the enermax for the Threadripper. I don't know how much that would up the ante on the PSU usage.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube