add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2007 dell inspiron help

GanSolo546
  • 17 months ago

I picked up a free dell inspiron for free and it's supposed to run windows 7. When I turned it on I can go to the bios, but when I do a normal boot all that happens is a flashing underscore and then nothing. Could it be a missing os?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

if missing the OS it should give an error message instead. Try going into bios and selecting the boot options to see if there are multiple partitions on the drive that could be confusing it. 2007 bios is pretty old though so might have some limitations in what it is capable of. I'd take the HDD out and plug it into another computer as a second drive to take a look at what is on it. It is possible they did something to remove the data on the drive before giving it away that is causing the issue.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try that, but I don't know when I can get to it.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a windows 7 sticker on the case with the key? You could install the correct version of win7 and use that key to activate.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks to me like it's not detecting the hard drive. It's either not connected properly, corrupted, or doesn't have an OS on it.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I will check

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe that the os is missing because the bios detects the hdd.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean like the hard drive is empty. So yes, the OS is most likely missing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube