add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2700x 100% CPU usage on idle

M0RKILLZ.twitch

11 months ago

Basically the title. I have an 8 core, 16 thread cpu, and I run windows 10. The system is less than 3 months old (I built it myself) and in task manager there are no programs with higher than 10% usage. (besides chrome and corsairservice). Yet I am still always at 99% usage. When gaming, its like the processes make room for the game, but as soon as it's closed, they go back to using all that they can. Very annoying, and it makes no sense. There are 82 Windows processes, 72 backround processes, and 2 apps running.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You can see whats taking up your cpu by using task manager under processes tab. You click on the tab named cpu twice to filter by highest usage.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I know that, and have already done it. There aren't that many big processes running, and if I end one, it either comes back in 5 sec or stays away. Either way, the cpu goes back to 99%

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you done a virus scan?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. Both smart and full scans, with avast. No difference visible... I have also looked into the services, (programs that start by default), backround programs, etc.

It seems to be the sheer number of processes running, but I can't tell which ones are good/bad

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I might suggest disabling some high impact programs from starting up when windows does. It should be under the startup tab in task manager.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube