• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Kobay 4 days ago

I'll try to bring it to a store tmr to see if the other parts are damaged. So when I tried to plug in my PSU and turn on the switch, sparks came out of the back, nothing was burnt, and I tried unpluging everything after that, but what could I do now?

Comments Sorted by:

Enrico411 3 points 4 days ago

Contact EVGA. SHould have 10 year warranty i believe.

thunder-93 1 point 4 days ago

There should definitely not be any sparks. Good that you've unplugged everything from the PSU.

Kobay, to contact EVGA:

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

or

https://www.evga.com/support/custsupp.asp

BTW, don't forget to register the G3 with them so you can get the warranty.

Kobay submitter 1 point 4 days ago

Problem is, I don't know if my other components are damaged. If they are, will EVGA cover the costs or ship me the components? Another problem is that I have to ship it to EVGA overseas and I don't know if they would cover the shipping costs.

I don't know the answers ... best to ask EVGA first, and then you'll be better informed. And then you can decide if it's best to take the PSU back to the store or to work directly with EVGA.

Quick question ... when the PSU sparked, I know you had turned on the PSU power switch. Did the spark happen then (PSU power on and PC power off) or did the spark happen when you turned the PC power switch on the case?

Kobay submitter 1 point 4 days ago

I kinda forgot, but can you give me a suggestion of what could happen in both situations?

If the "spark" happened when you turned on the PSU but your computer was not yet turned on (e.g. PC power switch turned off), then chances are very good that all your components are okay--because the PC switch did not turn any of them on (mobo, GPU, etc). That is, there was no power being sent to them, because you had not pushed the PC power switch yet.

If the "spark" happened when you turned on the PSU an your computer was turned on (PC power switch turned on), then "it depends" on what could ... because we don't know what the reason for the spark was -- all we know is that the spark was at/in the PSU. Components could still be just fine, because there are protections built into the EVGA G3, so those can protect components in the event of power issues with the PSU. But we won't really know until you get another PSU to test things out.

Make sense?

BTW, what country are you in?

Also, have you removed your PSU from the computer yet?