add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Component Physical Compatability

vwcrusher

10 months ago

A good friend of mine is in the process of specifying a system (working parts list is below). The question is twofold:

• Will the Noctua D15 fit his motherboard, or should he go with the D15S? Or the Be-quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 or 4?

• Given one of the coolers above, I assume the RAM will fit fine. If he decided to add a little RGB will you even be able to see the Trident Z RAM given the size of the coolers?

Thank you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $529.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $165.39 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $234.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $127.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $247.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card $0.00
Case Fractal Design - Design Define R6 USB-C - TG ATX Mid Tower Case $0.00
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $0.00
Monitor LG - 34UM59-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1396.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-12 09:09 EST-0500

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything will fit. I like the part list. And yes, you would see the Trident Z RGB RAM if you decided to go with it instead.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies;

@diy, So there is room for the Noctua D15 and do not need the D15S?

@mark, 2 SSDs: One for OS and applications, other for fast data acquisition.

32GB of RAM as this system is primarily for video editing with Premiere Pro, and some gaming.

You really feel that the Scythe is enough cooling for a 9900K, that might be mildly overclocked? I was under the impression it needed way for cooling, even with a pretty competent case.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The Mugen 5 cools way above its price point IMO. If the 9900K will be stock or modestly overclocked, it's entirely capable. The same can be said for some of the Thermalright coolers (the Macho, for instance, or the 140 True.)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, its that good? Cool (no pun intended)....I'll check out the others...thanks.

Ancillary question: which of these would be the quietest?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The Mugen 5 with a second fan (I.e. the PCGH edition) is inaudible to my ears.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube