add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
tragiktimes101

4 months ago

What are your every day carry defensive weapons (to those of you that have EDC weapons)? If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's fine of course. I'm just interested to know what some of you carry for self protection. I've been looking to get a new knife since I broke the tip off of my Spyderco assisted opening knife. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm a big fan of Spyderco due to the quality of the build, so I'm looking for something that has a good weight to it and isn't made cheaply.

As for my EDC tools I keep the following on me at all times:

An assisted opening knife with a window punch. It is generally used for menial things like cutting open my dog's bags of food or other small tasks.

A Taurus TH9c sub-compact DA/SA handgun which I generally conceal carry (but sometimes open carry). I went with this firearm because it's affordable ($290 with FFL transfer fee and taxes), DA/SA which adds more safety to it, and has a good capacity in 9mm (13 rounds + 1 in my compact magazine and 17+1 in my full frame grip magazine). I also like that it has a safety unlike many striker fired firearms (sorry Glock goons fans) because I carry with one in the chamber so I like to have a heavy DA trigger pull and a manual safety.

And, a Gerber multi-tool. Suffice it to say, my multitool is what I use the most of, and has come in handy more times than I can count. I definitely recommend that if you EDC anything it's one of these (not necessarily Gerber).

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 5 points

I carry a cellphone, that's it. I am personally not a fan of people carrying weapons concealed in their pants. Crucify me.

• 4 months ago
  • 5 points

Crucify me.

No crucifying required. It's your opinion and it's a fine one! I just don't feel the same way. Luckily my state has constitutional concealed carry, and most states have gotten away from their concealed carry restrictions. :)

• 4 months ago
  • 5 points

Yep.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

"bUt Ur OpInIoN iS wRoNg!!!111!"

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I just read all of that... wow...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Very relevant.

It almost gave me a heart attack from reading that ****.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

I got like a 2.5 inch super small knife on my keychain. It won't do a damn thing to stop someone unless I somehow manage to all assassin creed and slice their jugular or they have a phobia of small point objects lol but its good for opening stuff, I didn't buy it for protection. Can't do conceal carry or even really own a gun right now.

Gonna sound like I'm on r/imverybadass but my size is a pretty good deterrent. Most people will think long and hard before running up on someone my size and trying something stupid.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Gonna sound like I'm on r/imverybadass but my size is a pretty good deterrent. Most people will think long and hard before running up on someone my size and trying something stupid.

Doesn't sound like r/imverybadass at all. Size is a factor, lol. Maybe not always the factor (some people are just crazy) but usually a pretty big one.

Also, I can think of at least seven major arteries that could be severed with a 2.5" blade (three less likely than the others). The Radial artery, Ulnar artery, Brachial artery, Carotid artery, Femural artery, and the Tibial and Fibular artery. I like to know the weaknesses of the body. Wow, this makes me sound like a psycho.

• 4 months ago
  • 5 points

Wow, this makes me sound like a psycho.

That's for sucking sure.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I promise I have no nefarious intent! A&P just really stuck with me.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't sound like r/imverybadass at all. Size is a factor, lol. Maybe not always the factor (some people are just crazy) but usually a pretty big one.

Yeah it probably won't stop the guy on bathsalts from trying to eat my face but a mugger would probably pick a different target.

Also, I can think of at least seven major arteries that could be severed with a 2.5" blade (three less likely than the others). The Radial artery, Ulnar artery, Brachial artery, Carotid artery, Femural artery, and the Tibial and Fibular artery. I like to know the weaknesses of the body. Wow, this makes me sound like a psycho.

Yeah but its a really small blade that you can't even get a good grip on and isn't super sharp. And its actually is 1.5" long.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

1.5" changes things a bit but can still be damaging. A poke is a poke, lol.

Yeah it probably won't stop the guy on bathsalts from trying to eat my face but a mugger would probably pick a different target.

Just the other day I was watching body cam footage of a person on PCP stabbing a guy to death (victim made it). The cop ran up, seen what he was doing and shot him three times center mass in the back. Nothing. Dude didn't even notice and just kept hacking away. Took a brain box shot to end it. PCP and bathsalts are some scary ****.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

1.5" changes things a bit but can still be damaging. A poke is a poke, lol.

Yeah but its not going to drop someone fast and it definitely ain't gonna scare someone. I feel you would be better off just using a sock full of quarters or rocks on their head lol.

Just the other day I was watching body cam footage of a person on PCP stabbing a guy to death (victim made it). The cop ran up, seen what he was doing and shot him three times center mass in the back. Nothing. Dude didn't even notice and just kept hacking away. Took a brain box shot to end it. PCP and bathsalts are some scary ****.

I've seen reports of it taking 3 absolute units to take down some guy on PCP that maybe weighs 150 pounds wet that was just resisting. That stuff turns you into superman.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but its not going to drop someone fast and it definitely ain't gonna scare someone. I feel you would be better off just using a sock full of quarters or rocks on their head lol.

You're right. Even if you do hit a major artery you're looking at a minimum of 10 seconds until incapacitation and more likely 20-30 minutes. I'm a fan of the rock em sock em (errr....sock em rock em?) approach.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You know that’s probably why Nullarc isn’t on this thread. A mugger is probably gonna get intimidated by Mr. Tank

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Tall non lanky people unite.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

A lightsaber.

A weapon of a more civilized age.... :P

But really, I’ve considered getting like pepper spray for my car or something but that’s about it.

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

As someone that's been OC sprayed and used it A LOT you should know the upsides and the downsides:

Pros -

• Can work.
  • Usually legal about everywhere.
  • Generally requires no license.
  • Can have decent range (although MANY tout farther ranges than they are actually effective at).
  • Affordable.
  • Allows you a chance to move while they can't see very well (if it hits their eyes), which is what we really want in a defensive case. It's not about stopping the threat, it's about breaking contact with the threat.

Cons -

• Relies on pain compliance. Some people have remarkable high pain thresholds. LE grade OC spray never debilitated me. It just really pisses me off.
  • If you spray OC, you get OCd. Every. Time.
  • Can be hard to aim before you run out of spray.

Recommendations: Get as high of Capsaicin level as you can. The weak stuff is not worth your time or money. And, get two units so you can test ones range and dispersion rates.

Sidenote: I approve of the lightsaber. I mean, it works against the dark side, it will work against a crook.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Thanks for the advice

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

No problem.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Let me check the list:

rubber tubing
gas
saw
gloves
cuffs
razor wire
hatchet
Gladys
and my mitts.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Why would you need any of that when you can just yell “UNLIMITED POWER!” and shoot lightning out of your hands?

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Why would I shoot lightning out of my hands when I can just convince Anakin THE JEDI ARE TAKING OVER!

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Mace Windu wants to know your location

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

You fool!!! This isn't even my final form!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

and my mitts

You forgot about the rope! You always need rope!

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

lol well done

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't personally carry anything really, but my buddy had a shortened variant of a Glock chambered in 9mm where 3 fingers fit on the grip and the 4th rested on the magazine. Would have been a perfect concealed carry pistol, but to my knowledge he does not.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine is a two and a half grip (three for small handed people, two for large handed people) with the conceal mag. It goes to a full 4 finger grip with the full mag. Good to have in your waistband without imprinting too much.

I started carrying everyday the day that I became a father. If I go, so does my families breadwinner. That means I have to walk back through the door each day to them. So I (double) stack the odds in my favor

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

If I go, so does my families breadwinner. That means I have to walk back through the door each day to them.

Not trying to be that guy but owning a gun makes you 8 times more likely to be shot, soooooo....

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

While somewhat true, the bulk of those statistics come from improper administrative handling of a firearm (ie. negligent discharges). If adjusting for that, the rate came down to around 1.9 times as likely. And, most of these studies only looked at whether the person was armed at the time of their death or not. They didn't take into account if the gun was used in defense (some adjusted for this). Many of these statistics come from gang related activities where the homicide was pre-planned and in an ambush style (nothing a gun will do then unless you are REALLY lucky).

Luckily I was trained in the use of Glock 40, AR-15, and Mossberg 870 by the state of Missouri as well as compact pistols and semi-auto shotguns by a private organization. Some people (too many) don't properly handle their firearms. A gun doesn't give you a guarantee, but if trained properly, it gives you a chance.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Meh, I don;t like guns so I'll always say this stype of stuff to try and trigger people. Lol like that pun? :P

I am of the opinion we would be safer as a whole if less people had guns. but that's a debate we have killed to death.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Meh, I don;t like guns so I'll always say this stype of stuff to try and trigger people. Lol like that pun?

xD

I am of the opinion we would be safer as a whole if less people had guns. but that's a debate we have killed to death.

You're starting to sound like Root_User with these puns. lol

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I wouldn't mind doing the same, but it is a nightmare process here in Maryland where I live

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Which is weird because getting a shotgun or a rife in MD is dumb easy.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Compared to a few states, sure. But it is still one of the more strict states in the USA on most things gun related. Concealed carry permit processing is backed up for weeks in MD.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Makes me feel better that I am moving back to MD soon.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

EDC? Everyday carry ? I like that term I carry around a viper taser, you can put it in your pocket. Personally I dislike fighting since I don't really see any point in it. I am a peaceful person but if it does come to it, the day may come when I may use it.

I also bought my sister a pepper spray from amazon, it has a huge range of spray. She carries it around her everywhere she goes, like you said, it "comes in handy."

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend tazing and running fast. Effect doesn't last long but does hurt like hell.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Pepper spray is a good alternative I’d you don’t like guns, and is cheaper. it can also be very dangerous if you carry a lighter as well. I remember mythbusters testing this, there are a few brands that aren’t fireproof. You can turn a painful nuisance into a flaming weapon real fast.

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

What if I don't like guns or pepper spray and feel like i have no need to carry anything to protect myself. What should I carry if i'm too naive and the world is really out to get me?

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Carry a large rock around.

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Then i'll look like an idiot on the news when I get gunned down at the mall buying shoes and all I had was a rock.

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

That is why you carry around a large stick as back up.

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

I don't think they would let me in the mall with a large stick though.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Who are you, Teddy Roosevelt? lol

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Or...or, you look like the badass that took down and active shooter Cane and Able style.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

If I was in that situation, I'd be running for my life. Not trying to be superman. Trying to live. lol

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably nothing. You carry a weapon around really in the event someone attempts to hurt you, the odds of that happening are low anyways.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Of course. I was being a smartass. I'm against everyone carrying guns, personally.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

it can also be very dangerous if you carry a lighter as well.

Most are now water based and ESD/fire safe (a few people sprayed and taxes had really bad times back before the switch). But, the oil based ones are VERY flammable.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

S&W 500 with a 4" barrel.

Best used indoors.

Why? Because you won't be hearing from any crooks again.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't be hearing anything again, lol.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

A Taurus TH9c sub-compact DA/SA handgun which I generally conceal carry

I'm sorry

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol! They've changed, I promise! Post 2010 they got their **** together. 2000-2010, don't touch the things.

• I'm so disappointed that society produced an ad like that.
  • 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Now there’s an American car that has EXACTLY what we’re looking for!

TAURUS!

I love the Taurus.

I want one, but I already have a boat lol

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

When I worked at a car dealership for a short time between jobs we had a BEAUTIFUL Taurus. White on black rims. All the amenities. 45K+ but freaking gorgeous.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

If it was after 2010, probably an SHO.

Did it have a black Grille?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I wish I could remember (smoked a lot of weed during that time, lol). I'll see if I can dig up a pic of a similar one.

Edit: found one. It was an SHO and it was black on black, not white on black. Whooops. lol. Still GORGEOUS! My boss special ordered it as the front display car so the thing was super pricey.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Self defense training. I'm no where near the most skilled or anything like that, but it's good to have some idea of what to do if a situation ever arises.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I totally agree.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Kershaw clash serrated;cheap, very durable, and it's illegal to carry anything else when you are 16..

And of course I can't bring it to school.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't carry anything as I'm only a minor, but I do plan on getting a concealed carry permit when I am able.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not against people carrying stuff for protection. However i do not carry anything. The very few times i have had "trouble" i was am to handle it with my hands. (and a bit of knees and feet). But also i will admit i have been very lucky as well.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't feel the need to carry a weapon with me at all times, so I don't have one.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I love 45s. Kinda suck to conceal carry being so darn heavy.

But they work for home defense. And we have a sawed off Mossberg 500.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

A good policy is if you have to hold the pistol with two hands to shoot, it’s a good gun.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hahaha. My man.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

After being in the military for 15 years, I finally came to love the Beretta. I miss my Beretta 45

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My friend loves Beretta. I'm not a huge fan, personally. It's a fine firearm, just a bit large for my taste. The way I see it, even a compact is going to be far more accurate than me, lol.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not familiar with the 45s. What make is it?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's just the caliber. Had an XDM 45, an off brand 1911 45 and the Beretta.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I see. Wasn't sure if it was a specific model of a brand. I am a pretty big fan of the looks of the 2011's (not the ones with the massive magazine guide) but I haven't gotten a chance to fire one.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

When I'm able to get a concealed carry permit what would you suggest carrying?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Short answer: Whatever you are comfortable with. I am a staunch advocate that if you are carrying it you should take the time to get in as much range time as you can and do so safely and strictly adhering to the 4 main gun safety rules:

1. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded. - Every time
  2. Never point your firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy. - Muzzle Control
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. - Trigger Control
  4. Know your target and what lies beyond it. - You are responsible for every shot fired.

And always keep your firearms secured

Long answer:

Now, to get into what you should carry concealed, I recommend a firearm that is easy to conceal and has adequate manual safeties (Glocks don't and for this reason, I'm hesitant to conceal carry them). I recommend a double / single action hammer pistol. This means that while the hammer is down, the trigger pull is about twice as heavy (12 lbs on mine instead of 6 lbs in single action (hammer back) mode). This adds to the overall safety. Keep in mind, though, you as the carrier are the most important safety.

Another thing to look for is a decent capacity (restrictions may be present depending on the state). But, in most LE firefights, about 10-20% of rounds hit their target, and it can take multiple rounds to stop or get away from a threat. So, I like 12+ rounds, personally. 9mm is good for this as it has a higher capacity due to the smaller diameter of the rounds.

And, the last thing I look for is reliability. I want my firearm to go bang every time I pull the trigger. That means don't go as cheap as possible but research the specific firearm you are interested in, and look into reviews of it, just like PC parts.

Having said all of that, there aren't a massive amount of reasonably priced firearms out there that fit my criteria. I went with a Taurus TH9c as it was about $290 and checked off all my boxes. Another fine weapon is the CZ 2075 Rami (a bit more pricey, but quite nice and a full metal frame).

Some people will argue that good sights are important, and they can be. But, for EDC CCW generally, you don't use sights. It's point and shoot at around 5-10 meters. So, that's something I don't care as much about. My full frame HK, though, has good sights and I see that as important as it's not for CCW but for open carry and I would be more likely to use it at distance than the CCW.

And, the last thing to consider that is very important but less commonly thought about is the holster. You want something that will stay put even if you had to get physical, and something that covers the trigger guard completely. I prefer form fitted Kydex holsters for this as they are a very snug fit.

And, I'll say it again. You NEED to get range time with it. You NEED to carry in a safe way and educate yourself whether that be through reputable safety video sources online or through a personal instructor (not too pricey and quite worth it). Improper administrative handling of firearms (taking them off your person, putting them in a safe, etc) is the most common source of negligent discharges (there are no accidental discharges, only negligent ones!). Proper training and practice will help to mitigate the risks involved in carrying and can allow you to effectively use your firearm should you need to.

One personal opinion: If you CCW, always CCW. Every day. This will familiarize you with the firearm and it will instill good habits (so long as you follow the rules). Carrying a firearm is a responsibility, but one you are entitled to by right. And, in my opinion, it means that you are in a position to protect yourself and those that may not be able to. Don't take firearms lightly. It can seem daunting, I know. But, that's okay. That just means you have the required respect of the firearm to carry it. If carrying a firearm seems trivial, it's not for you.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the informative reply. Gonna take the time to read this :D

I definitely plan on going to a range soon. So far the only gun safety I've learned is from my father, but to be fair he did a decent job.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My pleasure. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Remember me? The psycho Asian with psycho parents? Well I carry a Kershaw Shuffle, Kershaw Oso Sweet, a mulitool, a lock pick set, pepper spray, and a rope. I also am karate trained and tae kwondo trained but not anywhere near good. I also am tiny so that doesn’t really help but I think I could take care of myself in a fight.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

. I also am tiny so that doesn’t really help but I think I could take care of myself in a fight

That can benefit you just as much as work against you. People underestimate the small. And, the biggest advantage you have in an altercation is surprise.

Well I carry a Kershaw Shuffle, Kershaw Oso Sweet, a mulitool, a lock pick set, pepper spray, and a rope.

Seems like a lot to EDC, lol. But, I can't say much. My friend (who I've nicknamed the cynical boy scout) takes 20-30 minutes to even pack his EDC backpack. He takes it a bit....far.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Kershaw fans unite!

Clash serrated black

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube