• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ChrisNGibbs 1 month ago

I plan building a video editing PC. The room I'm building it in is going to be a studio/office. The flooring has carpet and heard that it's never a good idea to build on carpet. I don't want build it upstairs which has hardwood floor because I don't want carry that thing down the stairs and risk dropping that thing when I'm done putting it together. Long story short, I feel more comfortable building it in the room placing it but it's carpet. Are there any alternatives or should build the PC upstairs?

Comments Sorted by:

PrivatePengu 6 points 1 month ago

I usually just remove carpets and strip naked, works like a charm.

DarTroX 9 Builds 5 points 1 month ago

Jus remove the floor

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

build in the vomit comet?

DarTroX 9 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Nah I just build in mid air like every reasonable person does

Godzlegend1 5 points 1 month ago

Just keep yourself grounded and it should be fine, It's best not to build on carpet, but if it's an issue then it's fine, just always remember to keep grounding yourself, maybe get an anti-static wrist band but even then. Just anecdotally, I've built on carpet with socks! twice and all I did was continuously touch the metal parts of the case and I've never experienced ESD. I think it's overblown, but if you wanna be safe you can just buy a band that you attach to yourself and clamp it on a grounded surface and you'll be fine.

DarTroX 9 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

This ^ just don't do the cha cha slide on carpet. Touch the case/PSU every so often and you will be fine. I've built most of my PCs on carpet.

BetrayedPredator 2 points 1 month ago

If you install your PSU and plug it in, it becomes grounded alongside the case

k3y3 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

You might lose some screws. Mentally from the electrocution risk, and physically because you’ll drop something in the carpet

mr_cool998 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

That is seriously screwed up.

smilesmile 2 points 1 month ago

like other people said, it's fine, just wear an anti static wristband and/or ground yourself, if you want to wear socks dont wear woolen or hiking or thick socks as they build up esd very very fast

Holycowgaming 1 point 1 month ago

i built my pc on carpet and its fine so unless you are planning to wear socks and moonwaly on said carpet whilst building you should be fine just keep yourself gronded by touching either the case or the psu every so often.

i also looked at your list and a better graphics card can help with editing video faster and more efficantly

ChrisNGibbs submitter 1 point 1 month ago

What would you recommend?

it depends on what resolution and how large the files would be

Well I know I need a video card. Also, I might want do to gaming on thing.

a 1070,2070 or 2080 should work great but if you need somthing cheaper a rtx2060 or a 8gb rx580

Thanks, but I just need a video card.

Holycowgaming 2 points 1 month ago

those are video cards

icecreamman117 1 point 1 month ago

put a peice of cardboard under you