• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Dreadvolt 1 month ago

Let's say you're a very casual overclocker, you want to get the most out of the kit you've purchased, but have zero interest in setting records or burning your house down. What kind of "real world" stress testing / benchmarking would you run your system through to give you an idea if your OC was stable or not?

Considering the above, Prime95 is not really something I want to play with too much. It gets my temps up +10-15C higher than anything else I can throw at my CPU in a matter of minutes (v27.9 using Small FFTs).

So far my machine has been used primarily for posting on these forums, benchmarking / stress testing my OC, and playing Overwatch or BFV ('till Anthem comes out).

Since Prime95/Intel Burn Test and the temps they push make me nervous, I have tried the following so far to test my current OC.

• 1.) Cinebench (LOL - I know - but it was a quick start).
  • 2.) Intel XTU (5 / 10 / 15 min runs)
  • 3.) Approx an hour over Overwatch
  • 4.) Approx 2hrs of BFV
  • 5.) 30 mins of RealBench Stress Test (I found that setting memory tested at 4GB heated it up more than setting it to 8GB)
  • 6.) 30 mins of AIDA64 Extreme Stability Test
  • 7.) Full Blender Benchmark (1h 14mins of basically 100% cpu utilization)

HWINFO64 shows no WHEA errors as of yet.

Are there any other really solid tests out there that shouldn't cause my house to catch on fire?

EDIT: FORMATTING!!! (Again)

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Short runs like those are not going to guarantee stability as they are barely going to stabilize your internal temperatures other then the BFV runs.

Normally for lite use and not really caring about perfect stability I run a Realbench run overnight for 8+ hours and it can take several runs, you also have to have it test the entire memory or you still can miss memory failures.

And I find that even if it manages those runs fine I still run into crashes from time to time.

Dreadvolt submitter 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Now, is leaving it alone with RealBench or Intel XTU overnight safe? It's not gonna tank and burn a hole through my basement floor is it?

I'm afraid that temps run wild for some unknown reason and melt everything, so I've been at my desk for about 98% of all stress testing I've done, on this config and others.

Nope it is perfectly safe with one exception because if things get to hot they throttle or crash the system to keep things under control.

Unless you have a truly terrible motherboard.

Dreadvolt submitter 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

crosses fingers that z390 AORUS Ultra isn't considered terrible

Shouldn't be.

Something like ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC where it had no over temp protection because the temperature sensor rolled over at 100C instead of triggering could cause issues.

https://youtu.be/mjoa2mU4uMw

Even then its unlikely to burn down a house.