• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ktran714 27 days ago

So I know that the majority of games nowadays run on 8 cores. But when do you think that will change? Somewhere in the near future?

Thanks.

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 5 points 27 days ago

Probably never.

Games have to be balanced around Cross-Platform game engines so most titles are optimized around heavily using 2-4 threads, select titles are optimized around 6-8, not counting minor tertiary multi threading.

But the higher core count usage titles like AC.O or BFV are being found to be poorly optimized even on highly clocked higher core count CPU.

Problem is there are things in game engines that cannot be easily multi threaded without costing more in frame rate performance then you stand to gain.

Split a physics calculations into 6-threads from 1-2 and you need to wait on each of the 6 to complete before you can render a frame which can take longer then leaving it alone.

World of Tanks for example is moving to a 4-thread in their upcoming update from 1-2 and it took them almost a year with Intel's help to make the higher threading work properly without costing performance.

Games like PUBG can easily run 1-2 heavy use threads and very easy on just about any CPU even though graphics wise they are tough.

You also have the rise of Gaming as an Entertainment platform through livestreaming where the lower your CPU usage the better for the livestreamers.

There will always be tasks and workloads where higher core counts are a benefit, but gaming wise we are already seeing multi-threading for the sake of multi-threading costing performance for no reason.

ktran714 submitter 1 point 27 days ago

I see. Thanks for that. Now I'm leaning more towards picking up an I9-9900K for a CPU.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 27 days ago

Good choice, however a 9600k and up a GPU tier may be better value wise.

ktran714 submitter 2 points 27 days ago

How so?

TheShadowGuy 2 points 27 days ago

The 9900k is expensive and pretty much demands excellent cooling and better power delivery.

The 9600k can be overclocked reasonably well, will perform close to a 9900k, is easier to cool and power, and is substantially cheaper.

Since gaming performance is largely dictated by GPU, that difference in cost (a few bucks on motherboard, a more mundane cooler, and the more than $250 cheaper CPU) can mean the difference between a 1070 ti/upper end 2060 and a 2080. That difference absolutely blows away the difference in games between the 9900k and 9600k.

Assuming the only load is gaming, of course.

ktran714 submitter 1 point 27 days ago

Oh. None of those are an issue to me. I’ll be using a custom water cooling loop anyways, alongside two RTX 2080 Ti’s, so I think I should be okay. Thanks!