• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Levyrat 2 months ago

Browsing through the "Create A Part List For Me" section (and YouTube comments and everywhere else someone is asking for build list) you see a lot of people asking for basically the same computer over and over and over. A $500/$700/$1000/$1200 gamer.

And the resulting parts lists are all pretty much the same, aren't they? You're basically pricing a CPU/GPU combo along with the parts to make it run. For a build in the $500 to $1200 range, it seems to me it would be better for people to start with one of the standard build guides on this site, find a case they like, and then ask for advice on tweaking the list.

Save time. Use the build guides.

Comments Sorted by:

Junior1210 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

That's also why I kinda miss the old create a build guide before it was locked. While there was some silly stuff that went on, there was some good builds that had a lot of variety of parts. It was nice to see the variations of what could be done within the same price level. I understand why they had to stop it, but I still miss it a little.

Levyrat submitter 2 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

I must have missed that feature. Seems like it could have been handy for things apart from core performance, like energy efficient builds or maximum RGB.

Junior1210 2 Builds 3 points 2 months ago

More often than not the build guides were repetitious since a lot of people would focus on certain price points, but there were some really good ones when they focused on a theme like certain colors or a silent build. The best was when you contrast them versus what the staff would put out as a guide, you could do a little of both and create something better than either.

Levyrat submitter 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Best of both worlds. Staff guides for the basic price-point build guides, and the rest of the community for specialized builds.

Junior1210 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Unfortunately there was a stupidly high percentage of guides that were basically someone going through the system list with the highest priced items selected. If you were lucky, all the parts would have worked well together (some of them didn't realize that just because parts are compatible, doesn't mean they're gonna play nice together). How many times can the Mods clean out $30K build lists (they weren't guiding anyone) before being sick of it and locking the door. Still though, the good ones were worth the time to look at, so the idea was still a good one.

fairtradesloth 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Haha...well as someone who recently built their first PC, the build guides are the first place I went on this site and I began tweaking, then asked for some advice at that point. Kind of funny that others would head straight to the "Create a list for me" section. But that's people for you :D

Levyrat submitter 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

There ya go. Yours is what I consider a sensible and time-saving approach.

Maybe a lot of new builders don't know that they're asking for a fairly standard build. Or maybe they hope they'll find a magic parts list for a $500 computer that will give them $3000 performance.

btw, I just compared your build to the list I'm working on, and I think it makes my point. Same purpose for both systems, but yours is tweaked for more speed, while mine is tweaked for lower power consumption. And there's a build guide that could have been the starting point for either one. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Levyrat/saved/jjngwP

fairtradesloth 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Yep. Well I've been a forum member (not this particular forum, nor forum topic) for years, and I know how irritating it can be for people to hop in who haven't done their own due diligence trying to teach themselves this or that. So I always do as much research as I can to get my foot in the door before ever posting in a forum. It saves me time in the long run as well and I learn more in the end because I'm better able to converse and understand what's being said to me.

We live in a "fast food" society, you know...everyone wants it right now.

I can't remember which build guide I used but I know it changed a lot, and in fact, my build has changed since I built it - I swapped the GPU out for a used 1080 TI. I've bitten into the apple and am thoroughly an addict now. Loved building, and still fall asleep each night listening to tech podcasts, etc, trying to learn more and hope to build for friends etc in the future. Also added a 1TB SSD for extra photo/video storage. Both were good moves. Love this thing!