add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RTX 2080 and Severe Stuttering

winona78
  • 15 months ago

Got another 2080 issue. I resolved the screen tearing, but now I am having some serious stuttering issues even in Rocket League. Everything will be smooth for 20-30 seconds and then drop FPS and almost freeze for .1-.3 seconds. I currently have the game maxed at 150FPS, and it dropped to 110 a few times. VSync can be on or off and it happens. Then would bounce right back up. I looked a lot online and couldn't find any solid solutions. Just checking if anyone else had this problem and if you found a fix. Any ideas?

Specs: -MSI RTX 2080 -Ryzen 2700X -G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 2400 -B350 Tomahawk Board

At this point, I feel like I just downgraded from my RX 580. Thanks!

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Ram may be overloading. If ur on max settings, the frames pushed by the GPU might not be able to render quickly enough because of the ram.

Happens to me with fortnitr.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that is interesting. Is there anything I can use to monitor this while playing when it stutters?

I'm assuming the only fix then would be to bump up to 32gb correct?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

16 may be fine, the 16 you have is slow (2400), that may be the problem.

Use the OSD in MSI afterburner. If you dont have afterburner you can DL it on the MSI website.

try using lower settings, like go to quality or performance instead of max quality.

If using MSI, search for GPU usage drops when the frames freeze, or it using alot of RAM or maybe even a CPu failure/ Usage Drop

Anything can happen with computers

Also, the 650W may or may not be able to power such a powerful build. Make sure that you have enough power,

Hope I could help!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll keep monitoring it as I go and definitely try using different quality settings to see if the issues go away. I appreciate the input.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I have found that using Afterburner to downclock the memory and core speed is a good way to test if it is hardware related to the GPU. If it is request an RMA asap.

That being said I don't think the memory at 2400MHz would be the issue. Due try and see if you can overclock to 2666 or 2933 to get better performance out of your entire system (Ryzens love fast ram) for an overall increase.

There are tools that you can use to see what your total power consumption would be at max load, and I highly doubt you would have an issue unless its efficiency isn't even 80+ Bronze.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I will try the first thing tonight. Just do a GPU stress test after this?

Can you overclock the ram that high even if it is rated 2400? I currently have it set at 2400 using the XMP-Profile 2 setting. I don't really have an issue buying new RAM if that is going to help out.

I did use a tool for total power consumption and it was ~500W, so I should be good on that part.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You can do some research on overclocking for RAM but stability is the main issue with going past the recommended speeds. If you can and want to increase overall performance I would recommend CAS15 or CAS14 in 3000 or 3200 for ryzen builds because the tighter timings give a significant increase to the ryzen platform. Another way to check for these companies that make AMD optimized ram is to check the motherboard's qvl (should be a download on the manufacturer site) and just look for 3000 or 3200 variants.

But yes after you downclock the core and memory speeds, run a stress test or for better results do a real-world test and play a game at high-max settings.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

What psu are you using?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s an EVGA 650W

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Some nvidia drivers cause bad stutter. I suggest using the 411.70 driver.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube