• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Benisaacs95 8 days ago

I wanna put together a budget build to play Windows XP games that aren’t compatible with later Windows

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MTWJdX

Comments Sorted by:

ImperiousBattlestar 4 points 8 days ago

WinXP isn't supported by newer chips, you'll have to use a virtual machine, if you want to use that OS on the listed machine

Zowayix 1 Build 4 points 8 days ago

Sure about that one? https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7s5u32/experiment_windows_xp_amd_ryzen_1700x_by_remarc/

Sounds like someone has indeed, for one reason or another, installed XP on a machine with a newer CPU.

The whole debacle about Windows 7 and newer CPUs was about updates, but you won't get updates for XP anyway.

The real issue is going to be drivers for everything else, particularly graphics. I don't think RX 580 would work because the last drivers available for XP would be too old to support it.

ImperiousBattlestar 1 point 8 days ago

I don’t know what that guy has done, but since there was some hackery needed to get Win7 working on AM4, it doesn’t seem likely that putting XP on an AM4 chip is likely.

eesti 1 point 7 days ago

a used GTX 680 could work

Warlock 2 points 8 days ago

Will Windows XP be able to be installed on this build

No.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

You have to use older CPUs in order to run windows XP, an i5 2400 would be a good choice.

codezer0 3 Builds 2 points 1 day ago

intel made it pretty obnoxious to get driver support in XP for their Core i series... even for anything dating back to the first-gen Core i chips, it was already getting difficult. in terms of driver support, ironically, the AMD FX is a much better choice. Especially since there are several boards that support the AMD FX that still have legacy I/O that the older OS's expect to interface with.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 8 days ago

Like recommended by Imperiousbattlestar, Just use a virtual machine.

Hunter844 1 Build 1 point 7 days ago

Unless the purpose is for gaming which then takes you into the QEMU+libvirt+lookingglass with pci pass through rabbit hole.

firedrakes 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

even vm can be tricky on some games thru xp vm.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

I would imagine... but I've use it only to install older applications.

firedrakes 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

i tried to run a game. and finale found out if the cpu is running more then 8 cores. it wont run. even in vm

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

What game are you trying to run?

firedrakes 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

dawn of war 2 games. also 1 of the dirts to.

codezer0 3 Builds 1 point 1 day ago

Most Virtual Machine environments also fake an ultra basic video chip, so anything above DOS era gaming flat out won't work. Some paid Virtual machine software can at least emulate a DirectX 9 level GPU, which would be plenty for Windows XP, true; in practice, I find they have an obvious practice of reserving it for some marked-up premium version of the software though, and expect to piggyback off something several times stronger. Like, imagine the real GPU being an RTX Titan and still only getting 30fps on PC Halo in the VM levels of inefficient, lol.

codezer0 3 Builds 1 point 1 day ago

If you're not afraid to slipstream, there's a fair bit of possibility to creating a more support-complete Windows XP ISO, both with driver packs and the like. I myself came across an "alternative RAM patch" that actually causes PAE to work as it was intended to, and allows the Windows XP kernel to support and map up to 128GB of installed system memory. Look up "Dibya's RAM patch" on Google if you want more info and to download the files. On their own, they can't really install on an already set up environment. But they work when slipstreamed. For that purpose, I used nLite to create a patched ISO with the fix(es) integrated.

Apparently, eVGA did make custom Windows XP drivers for their X299 Dark motherboard, because they had a fairly vocal community of competitive SuperPi overclockers, for whom Windows XP is still the OS of choice for the best possible scores. With that in mind, a Skylake X system on Windows XP would be crazy fast. Just the thought of a 7980XE/128GB RAM/TItan Z system with XP installed screams ludicrous, and exciting. A more practical approach though, would actually be an AMD FX system.

I did something of the sort using PCPP's arrangement(s) and came up with this: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU *AMD - FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor $59.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler *Fractal Design - Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $115.04 @ Newegg
Motherboard *Biostar - TA990FXE ATX AM3+ Motherboard $158.83 @ Amazon
Memory *G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $30.98 @ Newegg
Storage *Team - L5 LITE 3D 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.99 @ Newegg
Video Card *XFX - Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $378.17 @ Amazon
Video Card *XFX - Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $378.17 @ Amazon
Case *Rosewill - RISE ATX Full Tower Case $75.62 @ Amazon
Power Supply *Rosewill - 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $96.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive *LG - UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $59.39 @ OutletPC
Sound Card *Creative Labs - Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card $59.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor BenQ - EL2870U 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor $397.00 @ B&H
Speakers *Logitech - Z506 155 W 5.1ch Speakers $80.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1940.94
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-18 12:41 EST-0500

With the patches and driver packs, about the only thing I could say Windows XP couldn't do, is install to an NVMe volume, since those started being a thing only well after Windows XP support ended in terms of drivers. GPU-wise, the end of the line for that would be the R9 270X on AMD (not even the 290X, ffs); on the GeForce side, there's a fair bit more choice since nvidia did make a recent driver update that added the GTX 950/960, and the Titan/Black/Z cards as possible GPU's to run on the OS. Something to keep in mind, there.

I hope this helps.