• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SicɅrius 8 days ago

PS4 (Slim) and Xbox One (S) Killer: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KycyNQ

Making a $300 PC was really difficult, mostly because they have a Blu ray reader and a controller (I use a wireless keyboard in this case). There was almost no leeway to make anything cheaper. I used one of the cheapest CPUs I could find that would work with the cheapest motherboards, even that didn't really work. I used the cheapest ram and HDD, although it is the same amount of storage and same speed as a PS4. I was pretty much forced to use a 1050, and even that wasn't able to make it cheaper. Of course, i used the second cheapest PSU since the cheapest one wasn't even 80+ certified.

Honestly, unless someone can make this $100 cheaper, I would just go for a PS4 Slim or Xbox one S considering your paying +$80 for a PC that's quickly going to become outdated. Also, you may want someone to build it for you, and that costs money, so if you really don't want to worry about maintenance/upgrading than that's even more money out of your wallet. You win here console peasants!!!

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X Killer: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8NtkZR

Here, building a PC that was $500 was really easy (just goes to show that PC's are MEANT to be "expensive"). Put in the BEST budget CPU out there. I used the same motherboard, cuz why not. I used faster memory since I had more leeway (as with everything else). But, I didn't want to go all out, so I used the same HDD as the PS4/Xbone killer. Really glad I was able to put nearly a mid-range GPU for such a cheap build like this. Used a case with side panels, and it looks way better (maybe even better than a PS4 Pro and an XBone!!!). Used a similar power supply. Pretty much had to put in a blu-ray reader if I wanted to prove that this could kill a console. Also threw in a wireless adapter since I had enough $$$ to do so. I used the same keyboard and mouse since its the cheapest one.

After mail-in rebates (which was $80 btw) the total is $10 more than a Xbone X and PS4 Pro! You're also likely to get way more frames than these consoles anyway so yeah!!

I didn't forget you Switch peasants: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rM8xvn

(just gonna ignore the fact that I went kinda overbudget on the switch)

Better switch to PC!

Comments Sorted by:

VapidDarkness 6 points 8 days ago

I'd rather have the switch over that pc anyday. Mainly because if I'm buying a switch I want portability(and smash bros).

Honestly, unless someone can make this $100 cheaper, I would just go for a PS4 Slim or Xbox one S considering your paying +$80 for a PC that's quickly going to become outdated. Also, you may want someone to build it for you, and that costs money, so if you really don't want to worry about maintenance/upgrading than that's even more money out of your wallet.

Simple solution here would be to buy an Optiplex off Ebay for like $150. After that just buy an ssd and a 1050 ti and boom you just spent like $290 on a pretty good budget pc.

SicɅrius submitter 1 point 8 days ago

I have a switch and I agree. But laptops do exist. I haven't looked into laptops, so I don't know if there's any gaming laptops for $300

VapidDarkness 3 points 8 days ago

Laptops do exist, but honestly I think the switch still has the advantage for portable gaming.

And it has wireless controllers and a touchscreen and a good battery life so yeah

But if you want a brand new, and covered by a warrenty, you want a brand new system/pc, and clearly getting a console is the only way to go if you don't want to spend an extra $80 AND build it yourself for nearly same performance. I don't even think you can use VR on the PC, while you can use PSVR fine with a ps4/slim

Granddy 3 points 8 days ago

Lets take it to another level then.

Dell workstations (ie the t3500, t3600) are also a very good option to get into pc and vr gaming as they can be cheaper for the same performance compared to dell optiplexs and the replacement parts for them is stupidly cheap (30 dollars for a new t3500 mobo) in case anything happens to it.

T3500 already has a 525 watt psu with a 6 pin power connector so throwing in there a rx 570/rx 480 shouldn't be an issue in there. Their cpus are also ok at gaming but need at least a xeon x5670 or higher to play games properly. Luckily, that cpu costs only 20 dollars on ebay. Spend 5-10 dollars more then you'll get a xeon x5677 that can turbo up to 3.7 ghz. It also support triple channel memory so go ham on those ddr3 sticks though avoid ecc memory on that system. I've been able to get a 125 dollar t3500 system that has a Xeon X5677, 12gbs of ram, 250 gbs of storage plus windows included. The 750 gb hard and rx 470 were both only 105 dollar combined when I bought them on ebay. The total cost of that system is 230 dollars which is fantastic value for that system.

Downsides of this system that the heatsink is passive (meaning no fans on it) and thus the cpu tends to run hot as I've seen my cpu reach to 70-85 degrees depending on which cpu I have on it. Zip tie a dell fan (one with the 5 pin connector or molex) to the heatsink usually fixes the overheating issues though my xeon w3565 was able to be fine without it (not my xeon x5677 thou kek). Another problem with this system that this ***** is an absolute unit. Like it's hard to carry it around. And the last issue with it that the overall air flow to the gpu is poor but was under 80 degrees with my rx 470 in it so it was fine.

You can always upgrade these system to a xeon W3570 if you like having 6 cores with a turbo to 3.46 ghz(any cpus higher than this start to cost much more than they're worth ie the xeon w3690) or if you want a t3500 system that can support dual socket (cpu riser required), a massive 875 watt psu with 2x6 pin power connectors and support ecc memory for an extra 70-100 dollar premium then it could be worth looking to it.

I think I only scratched the surface with these t3500 systems and don't get me started with their t3600.

They aren't the console killer. They are the Console Slayer

smilesmile 1 point 7 days ago

The rx 570 is cheaper and better

Levyrat 2 Builds 6 points 8 days ago

Seems like a pointless exercise, especially since your "console killer" won't play anything without an OS. Also, you don't want a 5400rpm HDD in a gaming PC. You're sacrificing performance to meet an arbitrary budget that you already failed to meet.

Just a suggestion, but lose the judgmental, tribalistic attitude and stop describing people who make different choices than you as "peasants". That kind of pecking-order mindset is fine for chickens, but not for humans.

SicɅrius submitter -5 points 8 days ago

Damn someone needs to take a chill pill

tragiktimes101 1 Build 4 points 8 days ago

Those builds are not....ideal.

SicɅrius submitter -2 points 8 days ago

only the switch and PS4/Xbone killer but the second one is way better

tragiktimes101 1 Build 5 points 8 days ago

That build is sporting single channel memory, a 5400 RPM HDD, a quad core non-multi threaded APU being used as a standard CPU, and a suspect PSU, and a case with questionable airflow. There are some areas that could use work.

VapidDarkness 5 points 8 days ago

If you're looking to build a "console killer" at a budget going used is the way to go I think.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 8 days ago

Yeah, this would be a better iteration on new parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor $89.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $55.98 @ Newegg Business
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $29.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card $199.99 @ Newegg
Case Silverstone - GD09B HTPC Case $82.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.98 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $14.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $593.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 09:17 EST-0500

Used you could get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $110.00
Motherboard ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $65.00
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $55.98 @ Newegg Business
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $29.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual Series Video Card $200.00
Case Silverstone - GD09B HTPC Case $82.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.98 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $14.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $608.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 09:21 EST-0500

Single channel because won't have an impact on gaming performance (even though i though i saw a 2x4 that was cheaper, but getting 8gb is better if you want upgradability

5400 rpm is the same speed as a PS4, and was cheaper than a 7200rpm HDD

Getting a 1050 will make it worlds better

"suspect" PSU from one of the most reliable power supply companies out there and 80+ certified?

Yeah the case is pretty bad but that's really it. Not really easy when you're trying to outperform/have same performance than a PS4/Xbone when you want it to be the same price or at least a couple bucks more.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 4 points 8 days ago

Single channel because won't have an impact on gaming performance

Yes, it can. Especially on games which are memory bound.

8gb is better if you want upgradability

This can be true.

5400 rpm is the same speed as a PS4, and was cheaper than a 7200rpm HDD

So. 5400 is hot garbage for game loading as well as many things. Even 7200 sucks. A smaller SSD would be the way to go here.

"suspect" PSU from one of the most reliable power supply companies out there and 80+ certified?

Ugh. Yes. Because you can't gauge the reliability of a component based on the reputation of its company. All companies put out **** from time to time, especially on the low end. And, rating has absolutely nothing to due with reliability or quality. You should rely on professional reviews to determine quality as they disassemble the components and test for many things the average user can't.

Not really easy when you're trying to outperform/have same performance than a PS4/Xbone when you want it to be the same price or at least a couple bucks more.

There are some definite changes that could be made that would net more performance and better reliability for about the same price. See above. This isn't to call you out. It's to point out there are better alternatives and other considerations you should take into account.

VapidDarkness 3 points 8 days ago

There are some definite changes that could be made that would net more performance and better reliability for about the same price. See above. This isn't to call you out. It's to point out there are better alternatives and other considerations you should take into account.

This is a good point. I feel generally you are pretty much going to be paying more upfront cost for a pc over a console, but in the long run it'll be the better investment by a mile.

TheShadowGuy 2 points 8 days ago

Single channel because won't have an impact on gaming performance

This is objectively incorrect.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/240996-ram-and-its-effects-in-games-redux

Certification is loosely correlated to quality at best, and any brand can make a lemon. The BR series only is rated at 30 degrees Celsius, which isn't a good sign even if it claims a full suite of protections and uses DC-DC conversion. The Corsair CX450 sometimes go on sale for under $25, has a higher temperature rating, better fan, and professional reviews to back it up.

TheShadowGuy 4 points 8 days ago

Switch peasants

I have a PC and a Switch.

One of these lets me easily play games on the porcelain throne.

The other lacks games like TWEWY, Smash Bros., and Super Mario Odyssey.

;)

Zowayix 1 Build 2 points 7 days ago

I mean... your Switch killer isn't even a Switch killer at all. I'm as critical of the Switch as any jaded Wii U fan like myself would be, but like… the appeal isn't to play the kind of games that you would play on PC. The appeal is portability - if the Switch was the form factor of an ordinary console and couldn't be taken on the go, nobody would care about it and it would flop hard.

And it costs more than the already overpriced Switch, which you do acknowledge, but like… what's killer about it?

The other two you didn't include an OS, and while I love Linux, I have a feeling that's not what you were going for here. But that's kinda part of the cost, and for that matter, if you compare a console to a PC head-to-head the console's UI is a big part of what it is, and so the PC's OS needs to also provide a good user experience for launching games and not getting in the way of doing that. It's not just an empty thing that doesn't need thinking about, I guess is what I'm saying.

Don't mean to roast you or anything but like… eh.

VapidDarkness 2 points 7 days ago

and so the PC's OS needs to also provide a good user experience for launching games and not getting in the way of doing that.

I think its finally time for Steam OS.

/s

ZFGeek 1 point 12 hours ago

Honestly though, consoles usually get pushed out pretty quickly, so the longer you have it, the less likely you will still be able to use it. Then you have to buy a whole new console. With a PC, you can just upgrade the GPU and get better performance , without buying a whole new system.

In the long run a PC will cost less, even if the initial startup cost is a little more.