add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Follow question up to RTX 2080 Stuttering and RAM MHz

winona78

12 months ago

Hi guys,

I have had a lot of stuttering issues with my recent purchase with the RTX 2080 and from my last thread, think I have finally narrowed down the issue thanks to the help of this forum. I'll start off with the PC stats... (upgraded from the RX 580)

• MSI RTX 2080
  • Ryzen 2700X
  • B350 Tomahawk Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2400MHz
  • Alienware AW3418DW Monitor
  • EVGA 600 BQ, 80+ Bronze 600W

After removing old drivers and installing the Nvidia ones, I noticed severe stuttering. Originally, the games would stutter every 5-20 seconds with massive FPS drops. My RAM at this time was set to 2400MHz. Somebody recommended that this could be the issue and that the ram wasn't enough to work with the CPU/GPU. I changed the timings in the B350 to a set profile, clocked at 2933MHz. The stuttering backed off to every 3-5 minutes. I figured why not go a little higher since it helped. The latest profile I used is clocked at 3066MHz. I played for 15 minutes and didn't notice any stuttering. I also don't have off hand the exact timing profile used, just the frequency.

Question is... Can anyone shed some light onto why these changes had such an impact? Also, is it time to upgrade my ram to 3200MHz?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen cpus love high speed ram because of their infinity fabric. AMD infinity fabric speed is greatly influenced by the speed of the ram.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe you pointed the problem in my last thread so I appreciate it. After posting this, I now have the BSOD issues. Definitely gotta be due to overclocking too high.

Is there much of a noticeable difference between buying a 3200 or 3600? I’m going to have to upgrade.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

There should be a bump in performance with the higher speed ram.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube