add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building My First PC - Did I make a bad choice?

Timsle
  • 13 months ago

Just wanting to know if I could buy better parts. I am gonna buy some parts used. :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Timsle/saved/#view=6Fb7WZ

I do not want to change case. I am willing to change to AMD if it is close to the same performance, I am going to upgrade within about 2-3 years, as far as I know AMD isn't as good for upgrading.

(EDIT) I have made a AMD version that has a better Liquid Cooling system along with it being cheaper. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Timsle/saved/VxMjyc

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Pretty good build. Intel and AMD are more of a personal choice thing. Overall Intel does do slightly better in gaming performance, but AMD does better for rendering and video editing. AMD is usually cheaper than intel, though it depends what CPU you get. The AMD equivalent would be a Ryzen 5 2600X, which is about £70 cheaper, with very close to the same specs. Other than that, pretty good first build, water cooling isn't needed, but if you can afford it, it's a cool feature to have.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What decent non liquid cooling is there? (with a white version??)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

for intel stuff I don't know, the AMD 5 comes with a stock cooler and thermal paste pre-applied that's pretty good. not sure with intel, as i've only worked with amd

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel's stock coolers are a joke. Maybe look into a Cryorig H7 or this

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Amd Might be a good choice for upgradeability because of the upcoming Ryzen 3rd gen release. The chips are supposed to be much better with more cores and faster clock for around the same price as current Ryzen. Although I recommend doing your own research to see which would be better for you.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I will thank you :)

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

AMD is better for upgrading because they actually support their motherboards, so if you get any current Ryzen motherboards they should work with Ryzen 3000 series with a bios upgrade. Intel usually requires you to buy a new motherboard every new chip series

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

It's very likely that you would have to change out motherboard and RAM as well as CPU in 2-3 years, whether Intel or AMD. AMD will have at least one more round (i.e. Zen 2) for the AM4 socket and it's expected (not guaranteed) that current AM4 motherboards will run the new CPU. On the Intel side, who knows, because nobody really knows where Intel is going after 9th gen 14nm+++++.

On the air cooling side there are plenty of very good coolers, although I don't know too many that are white. I think Phanteks has one or two. If you can give up on the white there's Cryorig H7 / H5, Thermalright Macho, Scythe Mugen 5 and Fuma in the midrange; Dark Rock 3/4, Noctua NH-D14/15, Cryorig R1, Thermalright Le Grand Macho, and a couple Reevens for hotter CPU's and max heat load. A Ryzen 2600X would be happy with the stock cooler or an H7/Macho/Mugen 5.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube