add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build, need some help!

xshocc
  • 15 months ago

Okey so I was planning to get the Asus RoG Strix 2070 OC, but then I was just checking for an RTX 2080 and then I found the MSI Ventus. I don't know which one I should choose. I know the 2080 is better but I dunno. (the ventus also doesn't match my pc color thingy but yes)

aLsO, dunno if I should get the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W or Corsair RM750i, I talked to some employees and asked what they recommend and one of them said the RM750i, but the EVGA is really good I believe. So I went to Youtube and listened to some sound tests, and I could barely hear the G3 and the RM750i was a bit noisy.

aND the motherboard I am getting is the Aorus Master and the SSD is the Samsung 970 Evo, but it says "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled. The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled" aaaaaaaaaand I dunno what that means, could I get some help?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I dunno if I should get the i7-8700K or the i7-9700K. I know the i7-9700K doesn't have Hyper-threading, but I'm not so sure what threads do. The extra cores look nice, but 8 threads don't.

price is not a problem except with the cpus, could I get some help? (my build btw: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MHf9zY)

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Get the 9700K.

Skip the 970 evo, and get a 1TB 860 .

For $7 more than the Ventus, you can get the Gigabyte 2080 WINDFORCE and it'll match your setup better.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Why the 9700K? It lacks threads and hyper-threading, doesn't it? And I'm going to get the 1TB 860 soon, but for now, I'll just have the 970 Evo (btw the SSD I have rn has 118GB of storage... and my HDD rn has 1TB....) And thanks, I'll get the WINDFORCE, but the cooling is good? The Asus RoG Strix has really good cooling, so uh.. ye just wondering but I'll still get the WINDFORCE :D

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

It has more than enough threads and I believe the i7-9700k is the one that doesn't have hyperthreading.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

The 9700K is 8 core - 8 thread, the 8700k is 6 core - 12 thread. They both have 'threads'.

The 9700 has more physical cores, the 8700 has virtual ones.

Unless your workload benefits from NVME, you're overpaying for something you're not really going to benefit from with the 970.

You're comparing a high end 2070 to low end 2080s. I would expect the cooling solution on the 2070 STRIX to be better, but you won't get 2080 performance out of it - ASUS typically overcharges as well.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I will be getting the 2080 Windforce, aaaaaaaaand.. idk about the cpu.. NVME.. does that have something to do with an M.2 SSD? or am I like stupid. Never the less, thanks! :D

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

NVME is a transfer protocol and usually means faster transfer speeds. You should be fine with just a normal SATA ssd since you probably wouldn't notice the speeds. It's really useful in high read and write environments like data centers

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, when I copy the stuff from the SSD I have right now, to the M.2 SSD, it will go a lot faster than with just a normal SSD. And I'm getting a Samsung 860 1TB SSD a bit after I've gotten the new PC.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

The sata/m.2 thing means that when you have an m.2 drive you can not have all the sata ports populated.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, how can I fix this? Or can it not be fixed? Or do I have to get a new motherboard..?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Well most motherboards have the same thing, and you can't change it but unless you plan on having 6 drives it won't be a problem.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Me confused.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Since in your build you only have one sata drive you should not worry about it.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm planning on getting a Samsung 860 1TB SSD a bit after I've gotten the PC, and then maybe another HDD if I have the money. Will it then be a problem? And what is the max amount of SATA drives I can have in my build without one of them not working?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube